Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luke Chadwick talks honestly about how jokes about his appearance affected him

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• Luke Chadwick talks honestly about how jokes about his appearance affected him

Luke Chadwick talks honestly about how jokes about his appearance affected him

Dear Reds, we need your help - https://fundrazr.com/RedNewsSupport

If you think what we do is important, then a subscription right now is a game changer for our future as an independent fanzine in the year ahead. No football = no games to sell at. We need your support now more than ever. We believe the terraces of Old Trafford and its culture is a little bit stronger when Red News is around, and that our fanzine still provides a strong voice, and a different take on supporting MUFC that is worth keeping.

So on our 33rd anniversary we are opening up our new advanced annual subscription campaign because without your subscriptions, we will not be able to continue, nor be around in 2021. With your support, we will. We pride ourselves on still being a voice for normal Reds just like you. For giving space for reasoned, well thought out opinion, and for the type of exclusives and gossip you know us well for. And to praise, or hold the club to account, where it is appropriate. To shine a light where it is needed. A different type of fanzine. But one that still holds the same principles as when we first started in April 1987.

We have weathered many storms, including a decline in matchday sales, and all the changes, both good or bad, at Old Trafford in our time, but events right now out of our control are different... We only survive because of our readers. Without advertising, you keep us alive.

If games are behind closed doors, we will still publish. We WILL still publish. If needs be we will make certain mags double issues every second month like our one will be in May 2020.

The target this summer is 333 Reds.

Thank you - https://fundrazr.com/RedNewsSupport

“I was always so anxious about going out. Even if people didn’t say anything to me, I was worried they were thinking that about me or that someone might say something. All I would really do was go training, then come home and stay in my flat. And if anyone asked me if I was all right, it was always, ‘Yeah yeah, I’m fine, it’s just what I want to do’.

“I wouldn’t say it affected me on the pitch or that it was the reason why I didn’t have an incredible career at Man United. It was more how it affected me off the pitch. I would be anxious going out. Even going to the Trafford Centre, it was always in the back of my mind that someone might say something negative to me or that people would be looking at me a certain way.

“Everything was about my appearance and the way I looked off the pitch. I just found it really hard to deal with. I was a really quiet, shy boy. I didn’t speak much anyway and it really stunted my growth as a person.”

“They Think It’s All Over was such a hugely popular show back then,”

“When they started bringing it up, they were bringing me to the attention of millions of people.

“I remember the first time and someone texting me to say, ‘Nice appearance on They Think It’s All Over‘. I was so shocked because I was quite naive back then, even if I was playing occasionally for Man United.

“I looked at that text and I thought, ‘Oh no, what’s this?’. Then more people started talking about it. I watched it the next week and I could see people laughing at these jokes about me. It was obviously funny to other people but, to me, it didn’t feel like that. It was on every Friday and then the next day, when the game was on, it was fresh in people’s minds.

“After that, I would dread every Friday. I wasn’t a hugely confident guy anyway and this just made it worse. I used to half-watch it, hoping and praying that they would stop. But they never did. It just carried on and on. Because it was silly and childish, if it had happened once, I don’t think it would have been that much of a problem. It was the continuation every single week that really got to me. They would bring me up every week.

“I have always asked myself whether I should have tried to speak to them about it. As a 19 or 20-year-old boy, would it have been possible to speak to someone at the BBC and stop them talking about me? Or would they have carried on anyway? You’d like to think it would have stopped. But I don’t know. At the time, it was just accepted.”

"One of the disappointments was that, as a kid, I remember watching England in the World Cup and Lineker was one of the heroes of the team.

"So to hear him saying negative stuff about me, even if it was something silly about the way I looked, was sad for me.'

Posting comments is disabled.

Categories

Collapse

article_tags

Collapse

There are no tags yet.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• The new Red News Podcast 79 - the season return edges closer, and another MUFC quiz - adults only!
      by Red News
      The new Red News Podcast 79 - the season return edges closer, and another MUFC quiz - adults only!

Apologies for the profanities...

The independent, satirical Manchester United supporters' fanzine - for adults only, contains expletives - is back as we talk about the latest mag, the return of the season and sit down wees. And another United quiz. #mufc

https://audioboom.com/posts/7596496-red-news-podcast-79

On itunes at https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...655778894?mt=2

On spotify at https://open.spotify.com/show/3rTKJP0ftpl15D5tGUhlAV

On radiorepublic at https://radiopublic.com/red-news-8g5L2n

On tunein (you can listen on Alexa via the App) http://tun.in/pjibU

On Google Podcasts at https://www.google.com/podcasts?feed...0uY29tL2NoYW5u ZWxzLzQ5NDk1NjkucnNz

On Soundcloud at https://soundcloud.com/user-310232442/rednewspodcast71

And you can now support the growth and development of this small but rather unique fanzine podcast each month at https://www.patreon.com/rednews

Thank you....
      01-06-2020, 06:59 PM
    • Hernandez is very honest about his views of Moyes joining MUFC as manager ...
      by E.S.
      Hernandez is very honest about his views of Moyes joining MUFC as manager ...

If you think what we do is important, then a subscription right now is a game changer for our future as an independent fanzine in the year ahead. No football = no games to sell at. We need your support now more than ever. We believe the terraces of Old Trafford and its culture is a little bit stronger when Red News is around, and that our fanzine still provides a strong voice, and a different take on supporting MUFC that is worth keeping.

So on our 33rd anniversary we are opening up our new advanced annual subscription campaign because without your subscriptions, we will not be able to continue, nor be around in 2021. With your support, we will. We pride ourselves on still being a voice for normal Reds just like you. For giving space for reasoned, well thought out opinion, and for the type of exclusives and gossip you know us well for. And to praise, or hold the club to account, where it is appropriate. To shine a light where it is needed. A different type of fanzine. But one that still holds the same principles as when we first started in April 1987.

We have weathered many storms, including a decline in matchday sales, and all the changes, both good or bad, at Old Trafford in our time, but events right now out of our control are different... We only survive because of our readers. Without advertising, you keep us alive.

If games are behind closed doors, we will still publish. We WILL still publish. If needs be we will make certain mags double issues every second month like our one will be in May 2020.

"To be honest, we didn't have anything personal – Moyes and myself – but it was a mistake that they took him,"

"It was a mistake. That was the first mistake that it's still haunting – not because of him, he's not a bad manager, but they thought they were going to take the replacement of the boss, of Sir Alex, so quick. It's impossible!

"Not until now. Even [Pep] Guardiola and [Jurgen] Klopp and [Jose] Mourinho are not at the level of Sir Alex yet.

"They're on the way trying to get there. Or [Johan] Cruyff, those kinds of managers. They're not there but they're trying to achieve that."...
      01-06-2020, 01:20 PM
    • Denis Irwin speaks about the return of football and the effect of the break on MUFC
      by E.S.
      Denis Irwin speaks about the return of football and the effect of the break on MUFC

"You just don't know, hopefully football will get up and running,"

"You always get strange results on the back of early season [matches] but hopefully Manchester United will keep going and get up into that Champions League position.

"It's not easy but we need to keep going, simple as that.

"But the signings have been great and the transformation, I suppose from January, has been there to see."...
      01-06-2020, 01:18 PM
    • Graeme Souness insists he likes abusive chants from MUFC fans, and he hasn't got an agenda against MUFC or Pogba ...
      by E.S.
      Graeme Souness insists he likes abusive chants from MUFC fans, and he hasn't got an agenda against MUFC or Pogba ...

"Manchester United's fans made my day. My year, in fact,"

"It was the first weekend of this season and they were on their way to a 4-0 win over Chelsea when I stood up in Sky’s box at Old Trafford during the second half with a cup of tea in my hand.

"I could see them all shouting, but I thought it was for Jose Mourinho, who was working with us that day.

"It was only afterwards that one of my Sky colleagues asked, 'Did you hear the fans?' Apparently, the Stretford End was serenading me using a word that rhymes with 'banker'.

"I said, 'You’re joking,' then gave a little fist pump - 66 and still relevant. I was seriously chuffed about that. It was a real compliment."

"Maybe I’m not their cup of tea, maybe I’m Marmite, but I promise that I strive not to be biased, particularly towards my former clubs, and call it honestly, without being critical simply for the sake of being controversial.

"Whatever their supporters sing, I’m certainly not biased against Manchester United.

"Under Fergie, there was so much to admire about them. They were a proper team - consistent and entertaining, and they could go toe-to-toe when it meant digging games out in a physical sense.

"You don’t dominate domestic football for two decades by being one-dimensional.

"I’ve also been accused of having an agenda against Paul Pogba.

"I can assure those who reckon that’s the case that my judgments are based purely on football. I’m not interested in race or religion."
      01-06-2020, 01:14 PM
    • Scholes thinks the MUFC sides he played in could have done better in Europe if it weren't for those pesky Spanish teams
      by E.S.
      Scholes thinks the MUFC sides he played in could have done better in Europe if it weren't for those pesky Spanish teams

"We were quite unlucky really. In any other era we might have won four, five, or six European Cups,"

"But the teams that were about…you look at Guardiola’s Barcelona team – Jesus, how good were they?!

"You could go right through the team. In midfield you had Andres Iniesta, Xavi, Sergio Busquets and Lionel Messi. Henry on the left. Centre halves of Gerard Pique and Carlos Puyol. Just unreal. They’re without doubt the best team I’ve played against. They’re one of the best teams that’s ever been."

"But If I go a bit further back and think of the Real Madrid side that we played against,"

"We got absolutely battered in the Bernabeu one year. 3-1 it was in the first game but what a team that was. It’s not far away from that Barcelona team.

"They had the Brazilian Ronaldo, Zinedine Zidane, Luis Figo, Redondo was unreal, Raul, Roberto Carlos, Hierro, Iker Casillas in goal, that was a team that was just ridiculous.

"We came up against some ridiculous teams. We did alright against them but Barcelona just had that edge over that great Real Madrid team."...
      01-06-2020, 01:10 PM
    • Lingard, and his home, have appeared on MTV Cribs ...
      by E.S.
      Lingard, and his home, have appeared on MTV Cribs ...

There really isn't much more to say about that ...
      01-06-2020, 01:00 PM
    Working...
    X