• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E.S.
    replied
    Andy Cole says the mentality of Fernandes has helped the squad

Dear Reds, we need your help - https://fundrazr.com/RedNewsSupport

If you think what we do is important, then a subscription right now is a game changer for our future as an independent fanzine in the year ahead. No football = no games to sell at. We need your support now more than ever. We believe the terraces of Old Trafford and its culture is a little bit stronger when Red News is around, and that our fanzine still provides a strong voice, and a different take on supporting MUFC that is worth keeping.

So on our 33rd anniversary we are opening up our new advanced annual subscription campaign because without your subscriptions, we will not be able to continue, nor be around in 2021. With your support, we will. We pride ourselves on still being a voice for normal Reds just like you. For giving space for reasoned, well thought out opinion, and for the type of exclusives and gossip you know us well for. And to praise, or hold the club to account, where it is appropriate. To shine a light where it is needed. A different type of fanzine. But one that still holds the same principles as when we first started in April 1987.

We have weathered many storms, including a decline in matchday sales, and all the changes, both good or bad, at Old Trafford in our time, but events right now out of our control are different... We only survive because of our readers. Without advertising, you keep us alive.

If games are behind closed doors, we will still publish. We WILL still publish. If needs be we will make certain mags double issues every second month like our one will be in May 2020.

The target this summer is 333 Reds.

Thank you - https://fundrazr.com/RedNewsSupport

"Mentality, that’s massive in football. Confidence as well. Once you’ve got your confidence people start believing in each other,"

"We can talk about Fernandes coming in, he’s done extremely well and it’s looked like he’s galvanised the rest of the players as well to start playing their A-games."

Asked if one player could have such an impact on the entire squad, Cole added: "He’s done it, he’s started to bring the best out of a few of the other players, which is important."

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    You can help our independent fanzine survive - by subscribing now.

https://fundrazr.com/RedNewsSupport

Dear Reds, we need your help.

If you think what we do is important, then a subscription right now is a game changer for our future as an independent fanzine in the year ahead.

No football = no games to sell at.

We need your support now more than ever.

We believe the terraces of Old Trafford and its culture is a little bit stronger when Red News is around, and that our fanzine still provides a strong voice, and a different take on supporting MUFC that is worth keeping.

This is our third annual subscription campaign. Each one keeps the fanzine alive for the following season. The current surreal events mean that of course we do not know what type of United, and football, lies ahead for the next year. But we know this will pass and United will return. And whatever happens, we aim to continue to publish, and then be selling as soon as we can outside Old Trafford as we have for the past 33 years.

So on our 33rd anniversary we are opening up our new advanced annual subscription campaign because without your subscriptions, we will not be able to continue, nor be around in 2021. With your support, we will.

We pride ourselves on still being a voice for normal Reds just like you. For giving space for reasoned, well thought out opinion, and for the type of exclusives and gossip you know us well for. And to praise, or hold the club to account, where it is appropriate. To shine a light where it is needed. A different type of fanzine. But one that still holds the same principles as when we first started in April 1987.

We have weathered many storms, including a decline in matchday sales, and all the changes, both good or bad, at Old Trafford in our time, but events right now out of our control are different...

We only survive because of our readers. Without advertising, you keep us alive. MUFC has always had a strong fanzine culture, with strong voices all around Old Trafford, and we are just one of many, yet it's vital we can plan ahead without worrying month by month.

If games are behind closed doors, we will still publish. We WILL still publish. If needs be we will make certain mags double issues every second month like our one will be in May 2020.

It doesn't sound like much. That is a huge deal for us. The campaign will end on July 31st, and hopefully we can make target like we have over the last two summers.

For less than the price of a pint, each month. Every single one of you can make the difference. And you will get all 10 mags (or if needed, 5 double issues) we will publish in the coming year.

We always prefer print because it is our preferred way, and also helps our printer, but any which way you support us or subscribe helps - so we also offer a pdf digital version.

We believe we offer a unique window onto United. We are passionate about our club. And we show it. You might agree, or disagree with some of the content. That's healthy. That's the point. It's not just one view, but a mix of different voices offering strong, important thoughts on our club.

100% independent, 100% unofficial.

We think we play a very small part in the enjoyment of some MUFC fans' matchday or supporting culture, a nice tradition as well, and we really want to continue to be able to do so. We realise these are tough times for everyone in all aspects of their lives so only subscribe if you can and are able to. And we wish you nothing but goodwill with our best wishes to you and your families.

For those able to subscribe you can support your fanzine at https://fundrazr.com/RedNewsSupport

Please share, pledge and help us reach our target. This will mean the fanzine, the website, the podcasts; all that we do at RedNews will continue, offering a strong, independent voice.

And please every single one of you take care during these quite unique set of circumstances. Please stay safe, you and your loved ones, as we want to see you all at Old Trafford soon, come rain or shine, we will not care!

Thank you. And thank you for keeping this voice alive.

Barney, RedNews

For info; the subs taken out now will start from RedNews274 which will publish at the end of July/start of August. Our May double issue will conclude the sub campaign from 2019/20 - so if you subscribed then and now renew, your new sub would start from next season (we will work this out and let you know). If you are a new subscriber for the first time, the sub will also start from RedNews274 which will publish at the end of July/August and you would need to order the May 2020 double issue separately, unless you tell us otherwise... But we can accommodate any request, of course!

Any questions whatsoever, let us know!

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Andy Cole has been interviewed about coping with Kidney problems ... well worth a read

use this link to the Guardian article to see it in full ..
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...e-a-total-blur

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Phil Neville describes having to play against MUFC, and calls out Gary Nev for acting up for the cameras #awkward!

If you think what we do is important, then a subscription right now is a game changer for our future as an independent fanzine in the year ahead. No football = no games to sell at. We need your support now more than ever. We believe the terraces of Old Trafford and its culture is a little bit stronger when Red News is around, and that our fanzine still provides a strong voice, and a different take on supporting MUFC that is worth keeping.

So on our 33rd anniversary we are opening up our new advanced annual subscription campaign because without your subscriptions, we will not be able to continue, nor be around in 2021. With your support, we will. We pride ourselves on still being a voice for normal Reds just like you. For giving space for reasoned, well thought out opinion, and for the type of exclusives and gossip you know us well for. And to praise, or hold the club to account, where it is appropriate. To shine a light where it is needed. A different type of fanzine. But one that still holds the same principles as when we first started in April 1987.

We have weathered many storms, including a decline in matchday sales, and all the changes, both good or bad, at Old Trafford in our time, but events right now out of our control are different... We only survive because of our readers. Without advertising, you keep us alive.

“I hated it. Because you imagine the family [situation]! My dad wanted United win, my mum just wanted me and my brother to get through the game unscathed. My twin sister was obviously in the Everton end, so it tore the whole family apart. It was just one of the games where I found it... if United won, I probably got criticism from the Everton fans for being a United fan. If Everton won, my family wouldn't speak to me! It was just one of those awkward situations – I just wanted that game out of the way.”

“I was speaking to him [Gary Nev] about it the other day. It was one of the early games, and I went down the tunnel, and you just think: he's going to say 'hello'. And he didn't. He's going to say something. I turned round. Giggsy said 'hello', Scholesy said 'hello'. I think Wes was there and said 'hello'. And then there's a camera right in front of where the captains are and I thought: typical Gary – he's playing to the cameras, playing for show. The minute we went past the camera, seriously, he went: 'Alright Phil, how's it going?' I went: what an absolute idiot. For the cameras, for Sky Sports and his image, he thought: I'm not saying 'Hello' to him. I thought: nah, that's not for me, kidda.”

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Phil Neville likes the new look MUFC that has been emerging this season

“I love what's going on. I know there was a little bit of negativity and stuff, but I remember watching a game – I think it was Aston Villa, 2-2 – and I came away and I just saw a different type of football. Faster, more energy, and more forward-thinking. It was actually good to watch. I spoke to Ole – I drop him a text every now and then – just 'Keep going, I think the fans are actually liking what they're seeing'. Regardless of Ole being a legend of the club, the signings in the summer were young, adventurous, they gave the club a little bit of energy, and I think you can see the direction now that the club is going in. I think we've not had that now for probably two or three years. He's going to get time; he's blooding all these young players. When I speak to United supporters outside the ground, I can see a genuine energy and a genuine feeling that regardless of the results or where we are in the table, I think they can see the pathway and the journey that we're going now. It's what we want to see as a Man United supporter, and we're all Man United fans. I think we have to go away from the fact from signing these big galacticos and all that, and just sign good, young, hungry players that are going to come in and make this club better.”

"You can't change the philosophy or the history of the club. The whole club's been successful in buying good, young, hungry players or producing good, young, hungry players. You look at Brandon and Mason that have come in this season... Jimmy Garner, who's probably close. You've got so many young players coming through, and we've got a manager who wants to put them in and build teams round them. You go back to Busby, you go back to all the great managers, and that's what they've done. It's not rocket science, and probably we went away from that with the previous two managers that we had.”

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Giggs and Lingard have been helping out kids with their spelling

Its part of UEFA's 'Champions Teachers' project ... requires children to listen to 'Champions Teachers' - top European players and coaches - and write down what they hear. The pupils can then check their spelling to see how they got on.

Giggs chose to read a passage from the book 'The BFG' by Roald Dahl, while Lingard picked the fairy tale 'Three Billy Goats Gruff'.

Nice work lads!

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Paddy Crerand appears on good form, but he's missing arguing with people and he's no fan of David May !

“I'm not a bad cook, actually, I do quite a bit. I'm quite good at that. I can't do without spuds. My family go off their head, because I go to the shop to buy stuff, because I run out of spuds. What are you all laughing at? You've can't have a dinner without potatoes – it's not natural!”

“The amazing thing is Celtic and Rangers matches have been on every night, practically, on Sky television. So I watch that. It's going back down through the years.
    “What you miss is going to the game and the fun you have with old players, fans, everybody. There's always great camaraderie – I'm sure it happens at every football club, not just United. But hopefully we can stand beside each other sooner rather than later.

“I think what this thing's done is brought people closer to each other. There's more respect for each other now. You look at the arguments – I don't like him, he doesn't like me, all that sort of stuff – but now the empathy among people is terrific. Then you switch on David May and that puts me off straight away!

“Do I miss arguments? Wouldn't life be boring [without them]?! If I went into a bar and I sat with seven or eight people and we all agreed with each other, I'd leave. There's no fun in that! You want arguments, don't you?!”

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied

If you think what we do is important, then a subscription right now is a game changer for our future as an independent fanzine in the year ahead.

We believe the terraces of Old Trafford and its culture is a little bit stronger when Red News is around, and that our fanzine still provides a strong voice, and a different take on supporting MUFC that is worth keeping.

This is our third annual subscription campaign. Each one keeps the fanzine alive for the following season. The current surreal events mean that of course we do not know what type of United, and football, lies ahead for the next year. But we know this will pass and United will return. And whatever happens, we aim to continue to publish, and then be selling as soon as we can outside Old Trafford as we have for the past 33 years.

So on our 33rd anniversary we are opening up our new advanced annual subscription campaign because without your subscriptions, we will not be able to continue, nor be around in 2021. With your support, we will.

We pride ourselves on still being a voice for normal Reds just like you. For giving space for reasoned, well thought out opinion, and for the type of exclusives and gossip you know us well for. And to praise, or hold the club to account, where it is appropriate. To shine a light where it is needed. A different type of fanzine. But one that still holds the same principles as when we first started in April 1987.

We have weathered many storms, including a decline in matchday sales, and all the changes, both good or bad, at Old Trafford in our time, but events right now out of our control are different...

We only survive because of our readers. Without advertising, you keep us alive. MUFC has always had a strong fanzine culture, with strong voices all around Old Trafford, and we are just one of many, yet it's vital we can plan ahead without worrying month by month.

It doesn't sound like much. That is a huge deal for us. The campaign will end on July 31st, and hopefully we can make target like we have over the last two summers.

For less than the price of a pint, each month. Every single one of you can make the difference. And you will get all 10 mags (or if needed, 5 double issues) we will publish in the coming year.

We always prefer print because it is our preferred way, and also helps our printer, but any which way you support us or subscribe helps - so we also offer a pdf digital version.

We believe we offer a unique window onto United. We are passionate about our club. And we show it. You might agree, or disagree with some of the content. That's healthy. That's the point. It's not just one view, but a mix of different voices offering strong, important thoughts on our club.

We think we play a very small part in the enjoyment of some MUFC fans' matchday or supporting culture, a nice tradition as well, and we really want to continue to be able to do so. We realise these are tough times for everyone in all aspects of their lives so only subscribe if you can and are able to. And we wish you nothing but goodwill with our best wishes to you and your families.

For those able to subscribe you can support your fanzine at https://fundrazr.com/RedNewsSupport

Please share, pledge and help us reach our target. This will mean the fanzine, the website, the podcasts; all that we do at RedNews will continue, offering a strong, independent voice.

And please every single one of you take care during these quite unique set of circumstances. Please stay safe, you and your loved ones, as we want to see you all at Old Trafford soon, come rain or shine, we will not care!

Barney, RedNews

For info; the subs taken out now will start from RedNews274 which will publish at the end of July/start of August. Our May double issue will conclude the sub campaign from 2019/20 - so if you subscribed then and now renew, your new sub would start from next season (we will work this out and let you know). If you are a new subscriber for the first time, the sub will also start from RedNews274 which will publish at the end of July/August and you would need to order the May 2020 double issue separately, unless you tell us otherwise... But we can accommodate any request, of course!

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Matic is missing his cheeky friend Tuanzebe

“Which player am I missing the most? Axel!” I always like to speak with him, because we always attack each other – in a good [funny] way! In a good way!

“Always, the players like it when we are together in the changing room. They always expect what is going to happen next, so I miss him a lot.”

“I'm in good relations with everyone. Of course, with players who are close to my age, I understand [them] better. But, to be honest, I like everyone in the changing room. I like to share the funny jokes with Marcus Rashford, Jesse [Lingard]... but the players closer to my age like Juan [Mata], David [De Gea], of course, I understand better with them than Mason Greenwood, for example, because there is an age gap of more than 10 years.”

“He [Daniel James] always likes to send funny things to our group. So I always see messages from him, almost every day. Can I describe any of them? It's better not to describe!”

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    More great work by MUFC to support the NHS. The latest in a series of actions that make you even prouder to be a MUFC fan

The first of an initial 60,000 prepared meals for NHS staff across Manchester will be dispatched from Old Trafford tomorrow (Friday) in a joint-initiative between United, Manchester United Foundation, Mealforce and the club’s catering supplier, Bidfood.

Over the coming weeks, these meals will be delivered free of charge, across four sites in Manchester, as part of the ongoing effort to tackle the COVID-19 pandemic. NHS staff based at Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust (MFT) and Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust, who would normally have to provide their own meals while on duty, will benefit from the service.

The initiative will involve over 80 permanent and casual club staff, who have volunteered to prepare the food in the kitchens at Old Trafford, in line with UK Government social distancing restrictions. Staff and facility costs are being covered by United while all other costs will be underwritten by Manchester United Foundation.

From there, the club’s catering supplier, Bidfood, will support the daily operation by facilitating the temperature-controlled deliveries across the city, also free of charge.

Some 60,000 meals will be delivered to NHS staff in hospitals across Greater Manchester.

The initiative is in collaboration with Mealforce, a coalition of organisations which have come together in a co-ordinated philanthropic effort to deliver more than 500,000 meals, in the last four weeks, to frontline NHS workers across the UK. Mealforce works under the umbrella of Helpforce, a charity which supports volunteering in the NHS.

Peter Blythin, executive director of Workforce and Corporate Business at MFT said: “Thank you to Manchester United, Bidfood and Mealforce for this very generous offer for our hard-working NHS staff. These meals will be a great boost to our teams at Oxford Road Campus in Manchester city centre, Trafford General Hospital and Wythenshawe Hospital, as we all work hard together in our response to COVID-19.”

Dr Pete Turkington, chief officer and medical director at Salford Royal, said: “A huge thank-you to Manchester United, Bidfood and Mealforce for this fantastic donation; your generosity is very much appreciated.

“We have been overwhelmed by the continued outpouring of support by the local community and businesses, who have been so generous with their donations for our staff during these incredibly challenging times.”

Ian Wace, the businessman who has led the Mealforce initiative, said: “Manchester United is a very generous addition to the Mealforce coalition and I’d like thank them and all the businesses, individuals and charities who have come together to support our amazing NHS workers.”

The initiative will involve over 80 permanent and casual club staff, who have volunteered to prepare the food in the kitchens at Old Trafford.

John Shiels, chief executive of Manchester United Foundation said: “While many of our regular programmes have been disrupted by the pandemic, Manchester United Foundation is doing everything possible to continue helping the communities that we serve during this period of elevated need. Delivering meals to local hospitals is a wonderful initiative that unites the Old Trafford workforce in its support of the NHS; I thank everyone for their commitment to this inspiring scheme.”

Collette Roche, chief operating officer at Manchester United, said: “It is an honour to provide this service as part of our support to the NHS. We are all indebted to them for what they are doing to protect and care for us all.

“Our talented chefs and catering team are extremely proud to be making a contribution to the national effort at this time.”

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Well this player definitely wants to join MUFC !

22 year old Santos player Yeferson Soteldo

“I don't like rumours, I have my whole family in Venezuela,”

“I want to finish this stage at Santos by December, win the Libertadores and whatever is possible and then take another step.

“I always dreamed of playing for Manchester United, the dream remains intact. There are many steps to get there, but I feel I can.

“I want to go to Europe, but not to go and come back. I want to go and pursue my career with great success. I feel that I am prepared and I have to wait for the right moment to do it.”

“I've been following Cristiano Ronaldo since I was a child, I saw him at Manchester United and that's why my love and desire is to play at Old Trafford. I would choose easily (United over any team in the world). I would sign a lifetime contract.”

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied

Barney, RedNews

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Thierry Henry remembers his "rivalry" with Ruud

"It became a story between me and him because it was always him or me, but I don’t know if you remember I used to give penalties away. I used to give penalties away!

"When Edu played his last game for Arsenal and I was battling with Ruud van Nistelrooy for the Golden Boot I gave him the penalty.

"It’s because you ask me the question don’t get me wrong…but if you look at the number of my assists I gave in the game and sometimes I was in front of the goal and I squared it.

"I would not have all those assists if I was only just thinking about the Golden Boot."

"I was upset if I didn’t give an assist or I didn’t score,"

"Then I felt I didn’t help my team. Sometimes you can be amazing in a game without a goal and assist, sometimes really poor with a goal and assist so it depends on what people value.

"If I didn’t help my team in any shape that’s when I come on the bus and put my head down, maybe saying stuff I shouldn’t be saying because I get upset with myself.

"There’s a game in Sunderland where we were sure to be in Champions League and I gave Ljungberg three assists in the game and Ruud passed me with a goal.

"I could be greedy and play for myself but that’s how the game is. Ruud was an amazing striker, I had so many battles with him, he was a striker playing in an amazing team."

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Berbatov remembers a 10 game goal drought that ended with scoring 5 v Blackburn, but trying not to score after 3 goals !

‘After I scored a hat-trick against Liverpool it was 10 games before I scored again, 10 games! I was thinking to myself, “Berbs, what is going on? How is this possible? It was supposed to be the other way around, scoring three goals against Liverpool, one of them an unbelievable goal, your confidence should be high, but I didn’t score for 10 games.

"It wasn’t easy because people started talking, criticising but I needed to stay positive. I remember in the training session before the game, Sir Alex came to me and was like, “Berbs, are you ok? You are starting tomorrow” I said, “OK, thanks”. The boss had confidence in me and you need that, it’s a good thing. I think that gave me a calmness that it didn’t matter and I just needed to be calm and things were going to be OK.

"Sometimes maybe storms are coming but in the end? Five goals against Blackburn. I have that ball with all the signings from my teammates and I keep it with me because it reminds me that even if things aren’t going well at some point it is going to turn and things will be great again.’

"I thought maybe I’ll get the hat-trick, from that moment on, I thought I didn’t want to score any more. Which sounds strange because as a striker you want to score as many as possible. My game sometimes I prefer to give the best assist then to score a goal. The other [fourth] goal, I was trying to stay away for Ji [Park Ji-sung] to score the goal, but the ball just bounced and come back to me and I score. And the fifth one I actually try to give it to Rooney, but the defender intercepted and the ball came back to me. It was like the ball was looking for me.’

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Gary Neville remembers how little fall out there was in the club after Ronaldo got Rooney sent off in the World Cup

"The first day back in pre-season I was called into the office with Wayne and Cristiano by the manager to sit down.

"He wanted to see whether there was any problems, any hangover. They were actually really good friends. They used to socialise together those two.

"Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand, Cristiano and Wayne were very close to each other."

"And actually it felt like because the whole of the country was against him it did feel like a David Beckham-type moment in our dressing room, whereby there was this thing about England and Manchester United anyway, with the England fans having a go at United players whilst they were playing for England, so there was no love lost there.

"I think when David Beckham came back from the World Cup in '98, everyone rallied round him at United. It was the same with Cristiano in 2006. Everyone seemed to sort of come together.

"It seemed to help him in some ways go and prove everybody wrong. I think he does like proving people wrong and it was from the very first day of pre-season.

"They shook hands and said there was no problem whatsoever. Wayne's knowledgable enough to know that ultimately on a football pitch anything goes.

"We had that mentality ourselves at United. You try and do everything you can to win a game.

"Cristiano was trying to win for his country, Wayne wouldn't expect anything different and neither would I."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X