• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E.S.
    replied
    Maguire thinks MUFC lack consistency

Dear Reds, we need your help - https://fundrazr.com/RedNewsSupport

If you think what we do is important, then a subscription right now is a game changer for our future as an independent fanzine in the year ahead. No football = no games to sell at. We need your support now more than ever. We believe the terraces of Old Trafford and its culture is a little bit stronger when Red News is around, and that our fanzine still provides a strong voice, and a different take on supporting MUFC that is worth keeping.

So on our 33rd anniversary we are opening up our new advanced annual subscription campaign because without your subscriptions, we will not be able to continue, nor be around in 2021. With your support, we will. We pride ourselves on still being a voice for normal Reds just like you. For giving space for reasoned, well thought out opinion, and for the type of exclusives and gossip you know us well for. And to praise, or hold the club to account, where it is appropriate. To shine a light where it is needed. A different type of fanzine. But one that still holds the same principles as when we first started in April 1987.

We have weathered many storms, including a decline in matchday sales, and all the changes, both good or bad, at Old Trafford in our time, but events right now out of our control are different... We only survive because of our readers. Without advertising, you keep us alive.

If games are behind closed doors, we will still publish. We WILL still publish. If needs be we will make certain mags double issues every second month like our one will be in May 2020.

The target this summer is 333 Reds.

Thank you - https://fundrazr.com/RedNewsSupport

"As a Red, our toughest opponent, probably, is ourselves,"

"I would say that, at times this year, as a team, we have probably let ourselves down by being a bit too inconsistent. Not just for a full game but during games.

"There have been times when we've been so good in games and then we've come off it a bit and been punished. So I'd say our toughest opponent is ourselves.

"We need to be mentally strong. We are a young group but we don't really want to use that as an excuse. We want to be young but play mature. That is where we have really picked up in recent weeks."

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Andreas says he'd love to play for the club his family loves

If you think what we do is important, then a subscription right now is a game changer for our future as an independent fanzine in the year ahead. No football = no games to sell at. We need your support now more than ever. We believe the terraces of Old Trafford and its culture is a little bit stronger when Red News is around, and that our fanzine still provides a strong voice, and a different take on supporting MUFC that is worth keeping.

So on our 33rd anniversary we are opening up our new advanced annual subscription campaign because without your subscriptions, we will not be able to continue, nor be around in 2021. With your support, we will. We pride ourselves on still being a voice for normal Reds just like you. For giving space for reasoned, well thought out opinion, and for the type of exclusives and gossip you know us well for. And to praise, or hold the club to account, where it is appropriate. To shine a light where it is needed. A different type of fanzine. But one that still holds the same principles as when we first started in April 1987.

We have weathered many storms, including a decline in matchday sales, and all the changes, both good or bad, at Old Trafford in our time, but events right now out of our control are different... We only survive because of our readers. Without advertising, you keep us alive.

If games are behind closed doors, we will still publish. We WILL still publish. If needs be we will make certain mags double issues every second month like our one will be in May 2020.

"My whole family is from Santos. Since I was little, I grew up watching this. I was becoming a player and I always dreamed of playing for Santos, but I went to Manchester.

"I got older, then everyone said, 'Why won't you play for our Santos?' I want to go, but I can't now. I want to play football in Europe, and then I'll go.

"I want to go to Santos to win. I'm not going there to finish and to 'steal' money. I'm going to play well, so people say: 'Remember Andreas at Santos?'"

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Fred is asked about Guardiola and Mourinho trying ot same him at the same time

"Guardiola is a great manager, but I chose to join another great manager, Mourinho, at United.

"It was a contest between two great managers and I could only be delighted with that. It was very important for me, as it would have been for any player. It was something that made me really happy."

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Fred explains what he has been doing to keep fit during lockdown

"Every player knows his own needs and most of us have a personal trainer,"

"The club has sent us some training suggestions, but we had more freedom at the beginning.

"However, in the past weeks the squad has been joining online for official sessions. So everyone is there, including the manager, fitness coaches and other assistants, so we are in contact with the manager.

"I believe some of the players will be able to go to the training ground next week. Perhaps we can resume ball training in two weeks' time. Slowly we will try to get back together. That would be very important for everyone."

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Fred is finding life at MUFC a bit more rewarding now

"I've been enjoying some good performances and have had the chance to play a long run of games. That was also helpful. I'm delighted with this season,"

"I'm now playing well and hopefully I can keep the momentum if the league returns. I just want to give my best for this club, trying to be a key part of the team.

"We have a lot of goals for this and coming seasons - we want to win trophies. Hopefully, we can keep the momentum when football returns."

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Fred explained why it was hard at MUFC to start with

"I believe the first season was very difficult for me,"

"There was the process of settling down here, but also other personal things that were happening in my life, such as the birth of my son.

"So I believe it was a mix of reasons that made me have an awful first season. Anyway, I'm definitely settled in every aspect now."

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    For RedNews to survive into 2021 we're going to need your support, if you can and are able, twice this month.

We will launch our subscription campaign for next season/year on April 21st, our 33rd b'day.

We don't have advertisers, so it's Reds who keep the fanzine alive.

So here's first appeal/request (rt's appreciated)...

Whatever happens in next few weeks we will definitely release a double issue RN272/273 combined mag in May.

We already have Ex-player interviews.

What we need is close to the 350 Reds who buy at OT each month to order it.

So today we are starting pre-orders for the double issue RedNews272/273 in May.

Our regulars at OT are needed. Or new readers.

You help keep the fanzine alive.

RedNews 272/273 Double Edition in May 2020 Print Edition pre-order at https://rednews.bigcartel.com/produc...print-may-2020

RedNews 272/273 Double Edition in May 2020 PDF Edition pre-order at https://rednews.bigcartel.com/produc...e-pdf-may-2020

This double issue RedNews272/273 will then conclude subscriptions for those who supported the sub campaign last year and mean we can then start afresh with RN274 in July or August.

Every order of this mag you can make, or sub from April 21st will mean we are around in 2021.

I realise RedNews will eventually come to an end. But I would hate it to be like this.

So thanks all who can help keep up the fight, the voice, and keep fanzine alive.

Thanks a lot Reds, there's a lot more important stuff going on, as the most important thing is that you stay safe.

RedNews 272/273 Double Edition in May 2020 Print Edition pre-order at https://rednews.bigcartel.com/produc...print-may-2020

RedNews 272/273 Double Edition in May 2020 PDF Edition pre-order at https://rednews.bigcartel.com/produc...e-pdf-may-2020

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    You can help our independent fanzine survive - by subscribing now.

https://fundrazr.com/RedNewsSupport

Dear Reds, we need your help.

If you think what we do is important, then a subscription right now is a game changer for our future as an independent fanzine in the year ahead.

No football = no games to sell at.

We need your support now more than ever.

We believe the terraces of Old Trafford and its culture is a little bit stronger when Red News is around, and that our fanzine still provides a strong voice, and a different take on supporting MUFC that is worth keeping.

This is our third annual subscription campaign. Each one keeps the fanzine alive for the following season. The current surreal events mean that of course we do not know what type of United, and football, lies ahead for the next year. But we know this will pass and United will return. And whatever happens, we aim to continue to publish, and then be selling as soon as we can outside Old Trafford as we have for the past 33 years.

So on our 33rd anniversary we are opening up our new advanced annual subscription campaign because without your subscriptions, we will not be able to continue, nor be around in 2021. With your support, we will.

We pride ourselves on still being a voice for normal Reds just like you. For giving space for reasoned, well thought out opinion, and for the type of exclusives and gossip you know us well for. And to praise, or hold the club to account, where it is appropriate. To shine a light where it is needed. A different type of fanzine. But one that still holds the same principles as when we first started in April 1987.

We have weathered many storms, including a decline in matchday sales, and all the changes, both good or bad, at Old Trafford in our time, but events right now out of our control are different...

We only survive because of our readers. Without advertising, you keep us alive. MUFC has always had a strong fanzine culture, with strong voices all around Old Trafford, and we are just one of many, yet it's vital we can plan ahead without worrying month by month.

It doesn't sound like much. That is a huge deal for us. The campaign will end on July 31st, and hopefully we can make target like we have over the last two summers.

For less than the price of a pint, each month. Every single one of you can make the difference. And you will get all 10 mags (or if needed, 5 double issues) we will publish in the coming year.

We always prefer print because it is our preferred way, and also helps our printer, but any which way you support us or subscribe helps - so we also offer a pdf digital version.

We believe we offer a unique window onto United. We are passionate about our club. And we show it. You might agree, or disagree with some of the content. That's healthy. That's the point. It's not just one view, but a mix of different voices offering strong, important thoughts on our club.

100% independent, 100% unofficial.

We think we play a very small part in the enjoyment of some MUFC fans' matchday or supporting culture, a nice tradition as well, and we really want to continue to be able to do so. We realise these are tough times for everyone in all aspects of their lives so only subscribe if you can and are able to. And we wish you nothing but goodwill with our best wishes to you and your families.

For those able to subscribe you can support your fanzine at https://fundrazr.com/RedNewsSupport

Please share, pledge and help us reach our target. This will mean the fanzine, the website, the podcasts; all that we do at RedNews will continue, offering a strong, independent voice.

And please every single one of you take care during these quite unique set of circumstances. Please stay safe, you and your loved ones, as we want to see you all at Old Trafford soon, come rain or shine, we will not care!

Thank you. And thank you for keeping this voice alive.

Barney, RedNews

For info; the subs taken out now will start from RedNews274 which will publish at the end of July/start of August. Our May double issue will conclude the sub campaign from 2019/20 - so if you subscribed then and now renew, your new sub would start from next season (we will work this out and let you know). If you are a new subscriber for the first time, the sub will also start from RedNews274 which will publish at the end of July/August and you would need to order the May 2020 double issue separately, unless you tell us otherwise... But we can accommodate any request, of course!

Any questions whatsoever, let us know!

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Darren Fletcher remembers a young Ronaldo at MUFC

“Ronaldo, as a young boy, he basically got chucked on a plane after a pre-season game because of how well he played against us and a week later he was in Manchester.

“He learnt English so quick, he was 18, he did extra training every day, he was the first player to go and get a personal chef.

“He brought in ankle weights to train in so in a game he felt sharper when he took the ankle weights off.

“What a guy. He was determined to be the best player in the world. When you see his ability… yeah, he was frustrating in the beginning, he was a young skinny lad, the dedication and effort he put in, the single-mindedness to go and become the best player in the world.

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Darren Fletcher remembers how training changed at MUFC and he thinks it was to help Ronaldo

"There were times he was holding on to the ball too much and his decision-making wasn’t there yet. He had a tough time, he got told a few home truths.”

“Walter [Smith] came in and he basically decided to not give fouls in training. I know it was definitely for Ronaldo.

“And the boys were flying into each other and Ronnie was getting lumps kicked out of him.

“Before, you wouldn’t get soft fouls but you would get a foul, he’d be taking the mick, draw a foul, win it, laugh, get the ball.

“So Walter just decided there were no fouls now in training. Ronaldo for two weeks was going bananas, ‘who’s this Scottish guy? What is this?’.

“Basically, the lads tackled you anyway at United, but if you knew there wasn’t going to be a foul.

“Honestly, it’s amazing how quickly Ronnie started moving the ball and running because he knew he wasn’t going to get a foul, so there was no point hanging on to it.

“And then he started to score more goals and get in more goalscoring positions. Listen, it’s a small little thing but I feel the second half of the season under Walter Smith he made a big step.“

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    MUFC sign a Sunderland youngster for the academy?

Joe Hugill. A 16-year-old striker who apparently will join the United academy next season, should the move receive Premier League ratification.

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Louis Saha remembers his start at MUFC

“When I arrived it was in January and I remember really struggling before the first two training sessions.

Like going in the toilets, remaining there to try and not show the lads that I was struggling before the game. And I actually managed to feel really light during that first game, everything connected, everything was easy, slow motion, that sensation was special. That’s why I think I took that free-kick without being dedicated to taking them. It was a left foot free-kick and I took it, that was the last I took a free-kick at United, so, magic.”

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Louis Saha didn't like playing against MUFC because of our centre backs

"I didn’t like playing against Rio and Vidic"

"When I was at Everton, I played against them and the worst was with Van der Sar.

"I don’t have a massive tank, I can’t run all day so when I was pressing and my game plan was to actually visualise those defenders and say, “I’m going to hurt them, I’m going to make them uncomfortable all day”. But it was the only time when I was playing and I was feeling powerless because with the three of them they were passing the ball around me, I couldn’t get anything out. Even physically I had the competition with Vidic and I had the smart move and the way to control and give the space to the opposition to actually play around us. It was just a horrible feeling, I hated that. It was really bad because I felt like anything I was coming up with as a solution was not enough"

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Scott Mctominay talks about the words he remembers from his time in the MUFC academy

“We were always brought up to have an elite mentality,”

“That’s one of the most important things for Paul McGuinness and Warren Joyce - how strong you are in games when it might not be going so well. You have to keep all the right habits off the pitch as well, which I’ve completely bought into from Paul and Warren. "

”That was probably one of the best things I’ve done: listening and learning from everything they’ve said and trying to put it into the first team. Everyone’s got different journeys. Eventually, you get to a stage where you need to keep competing and doing your best all the time."

“You have to believe in yourself if you want to be at this football club for as long as you can,”

“You have to want to be one of the first names on the teamsheet, who is playing every week.”

“That’s always the ambition and that never leaves you. So you can look back at your career and think you did pretty much everything that you wanted to, in terms of respecting yourself and pushing yourself as hard as you can every day, and those around you."

”You don’t want to look back and have regrets, thinking you should have done this or that. For players like us, it’s important to have no regrets. We got told that at a young age."

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Evra takes an alternative look at rival teams that MUFC played

“I will tell you my philosophy,”

“Manchester City... winning against Manchester City was like winning against a neighbour. They're making noise, you just win and it's okay.

“Winning against Chelsea, it was like: you're going to win the league. Because I think Chelsea was the only team looking exactly like us. I mean like personality, characters, training [well], powerful, speed. I will say Chelsea.

“Arsenal... I remember when van Persie came. He said: 'Come on Patrice, come on, you have to motivate everyone, it's an important game.'

“I was like, 'Robin, don't worry, those are my kids – we're going to win easy' and we won!”
    “You remember, I think it was after the Champions League, I made that comment when we won 3-1 at the Emirates [in 2009],”

“We scored that great goal in counter-attack with Ji-sung Park, Rooney and Ronaldo, and the French journalists after the game were really like: 'Oh, the result doesn't reflect the philosophy of the game.'

“I was like: 'Are you serious? I just feel like today was 11 men and against 11 babies.' After that it was in the paper. 'Patrice is calling Arsenal babies!'

“But it's just the feeling... I respect so much this club, but it was just my feeling when I played against them – I know I'm going to win. I'll be honest with you, I played against this player, and after 34 minutes they were asking: 'Patrice, can we swap shirts at half-time?' So I was like: I've already won the game.”

“I remember a game,”

“It was sometime we were playing against Arsenal. It was Sunday, it was sunny, and the speech of Ferguson was like 15 seconds."

“He was like: 'Guys, it's Sunday, it's really sunny outside. I don't want no one to f**k up my Sunday.' "

“And you know if you missed a cross or something...You don't want to be the person to do that! Don't ruin his Sunday! It's very important for him!”

Leave a comment:

Working...
X