• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E.S.
    replied
    Brandon Williams picks out players he used to watch as a kid

Dear Reds, we need your help - https://fundrazr.com/RedNewsSupport

If you think what we do is important, then a subscription right now is a game changer for our future as an independent fanzine in the year ahead. No football = no games to sell at. We need your support now more than ever. We believe the terraces of Old Trafford and its culture is a little bit stronger when Red News is around, and that our fanzine still provides a strong voice, and a different take on supporting MUFC that is worth keeping.

So on our 33rd anniversary we are opening up our new advanced annual subscription campaign because without your subscriptions, we will not be able to continue, nor be around in 2021. With your support, we will. We pride ourselves on still being a voice for normal Reds just like you. For giving space for reasoned, well thought out opinion, and for the type of exclusives and gossip you know us well for. And to praise, or hold the club to account, where it is appropriate. To shine a light where it is needed. A different type of fanzine. But one that still holds the same principles as when we first started in April 1987.

We have weathered many storms, including a decline in matchday sales, and all the changes, both good or bad, at Old Trafford in our time, but events right now out of our control are different... We only survive because of our readers. Without advertising, you keep us alive.

If games are behind closed doors, we will still publish. We WILL still publish. If needs be we will make certain mags double issues every second month like our one will be in May 2020.

The target this summer is 333 Reds.

Thank you - https://fundrazr.com/RedNewsSupport

"All defenders have different attributes that I used to watch and take clips off. Obviously, the players at United like Wes, Nev and everyone like that, and also players like Dani Alves who were in their prime also. Watching players like that play at their highest level and taking bits from each of their games, “That player’s better at that, and that player’s better at that, what does that player need to work on that I can add to my game?”’

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    You can help our independent fanzine survive - by subscribing now.

https://fundrazr.com/RedNewsSupport

Dear Reds, we need your help.

If you think what we do is important, then a subscription right now is a game changer for our future as an independent fanzine in the year ahead.

No football = no games to sell at.

We need your support now more than ever.

We believe the terraces of Old Trafford and its culture is a little bit stronger when Red News is around, and that our fanzine still provides a strong voice, and a different take on supporting MUFC that is worth keeping.

This is our third annual subscription campaign. Each one keeps the fanzine alive for the following season. The current surreal events mean that of course we do not know what type of United, and football, lies ahead for the next year. But we know this will pass and United will return. And whatever happens, we aim to continue to publish, and then be selling as soon as we can outside Old Trafford as we have for the past 33 years.

So on our 33rd anniversary we are opening up our new advanced annual subscription campaign because without your subscriptions, we will not be able to continue, nor be around in 2021. With your support, we will.

We pride ourselves on still being a voice for normal Reds just like you. For giving space for reasoned, well thought out opinion, and for the type of exclusives and gossip you know us well for. And to praise, or hold the club to account, where it is appropriate. To shine a light where it is needed. A different type of fanzine. But one that still holds the same principles as when we first started in April 1987.

We have weathered many storms, including a decline in matchday sales, and all the changes, both good or bad, at Old Trafford in our time, but events right now out of our control are different...

We only survive because of our readers. Without advertising, you keep us alive. MUFC has always had a strong fanzine culture, with strong voices all around Old Trafford, and we are just one of many, yet it's vital we can plan ahead without worrying month by month.

If games are behind closed doors, we will still publish. We WILL still publish. If needs be we will make certain mags double issues every second month like our one will be in May 2020.

It doesn't sound like much. That is a huge deal for us. The campaign will end on July 31st, and hopefully we can make target like we have over the last two summers.

For less than the price of a pint, each month. Every single one of you can make the difference. And you will get all 10 mags (or if needed, 5 double issues) we will publish in the coming year.

We always prefer print because it is our preferred way, and also helps our printer, but any which way you support us or subscribe helps - so we also offer a pdf digital version.

We believe we offer a unique window onto United. We are passionate about our club. And we show it. You might agree, or disagree with some of the content. That's healthy. That's the point. It's not just one view, but a mix of different voices offering strong, important thoughts on our club.

100% independent, 100% unofficial.

We think we play a very small part in the enjoyment of some MUFC fans' matchday or supporting culture, a nice tradition as well, and we really want to continue to be able to do so. We realise these are tough times for everyone in all aspects of their lives so only subscribe if you can and are able to. And we wish you nothing but goodwill with our best wishes to you and your families.

For those able to subscribe you can support your fanzine at https://fundrazr.com/RedNewsSupport

Please share, pledge and help us reach our target. This will mean the fanzine, the website, the podcasts; all that we do at RedNews will continue, offering a strong, independent voice.

And please every single one of you take care during these quite unique set of circumstances. Please stay safe, you and your loved ones, as we want to see you all at Old Trafford soon, come rain or shine, we will not care!

Thank you. And thank you for keeping this voice alive.

Barney, RedNews

For info; the subs taken out now will start from RedNews274 which will publish at the end of July/start of August. Our May double issue will conclude the sub campaign from 2019/20 - so if you subscribed then and now renew, your new sub would start from next season (we will work this out and let you know). If you are a new subscriber for the first time, the sub will also start from RedNews274 which will publish at the end of July/August and you would need to order the May 2020 double issue separately, unless you tell us otherwise... But we can accommodate any request, of course!

Any questions whatsoever, let us know!

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Nani remembers train and car trips with Sir Alex ... some were more friendly than others !!!

If you think what we do is important, then a subscription right now is a game changer for our future as an independent fanzine in the year ahead. No football = no games to sell at. We need your support now more than ever. We believe the terraces of Old Trafford and its culture is a little bit stronger when Red News is around, and that our fanzine still provides a strong voice, and a different take on supporting MUFC that is worth keeping.

So on our 33rd anniversary we are opening up our new advanced annual subscription campaign because without your subscriptions, we will not be able to continue, nor be around in 2021. With your support, we will. We pride ourselves on still being a voice for normal Reds just like you. For giving space for reasoned, well thought out opinion, and for the type of exclusives and gossip you know us well for. And to praise, or hold the club to account, where it is appropriate. To shine a light where it is needed. A different type of fanzine. But one that still holds the same principles as when we first started in April 1987.

We have weathered many storms, including a decline in matchday sales, and all the changes, both good or bad, at Old Trafford in our time, but events right now out of our control are different... We only survive because of our readers. Without advertising, you keep us alive.

"At the beginning, I was very scared of him. Like a father, you know? To make a mistake or do something wrong.

"But I was scared of him until I learned to understand and was able to express myself.

"My English has never been perfect or is going to be, but at that time it was worse than now and when he found I could speak more with him, he started coming to me and giving me more attention.

"And from then, I learned more about Sir Alex Ferguson. What he wanted to do, who he was and the relationship started to be better."

"He was my neighbour and we used to go to London by train,"

"His wife or his family used to leave him in the train station so on the way back he has no driver to take him so he was looking for someone who lives close to him to give him a ride.

"So I said, 'OK boss, I'll take you home!' But the day I took him home was after a game against Fulham away, and I was on the bench.

"I was playing unbelievable with a lot of confidence. We won a penalty and it was Ryan Giggs who took the penalties. I felt confident and Giggs didn't say anything. I took the penalty and I missed.

"The penalty should make it 3-2. We are going back home that day and I say, 'Boss, I can take you home'. I drove him back home and he didn't talk to me in the car!

"In the dressing room, he killed me! He said, 'Nani, who do you think you are? Who gave you permission to take the penalty?! Ryan!'

"And then he killed Ryan Giggs, because he said, 'Ryan, why did you let him take the penalty!' Ryan said, 'He grabbed the ball and I let him.'

"Oh my god, that day was incredible. I took him home and I felt very uncomfortable driving home.

"He [Ferguson] is a man who knows how to manage all characters, all different ages, all different personalities.

"My personality in that time, I was young, and not easy. I know that and I learned a lot, I changed a lot. That is life. You must learn."

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Fred got told by Fernandes to play like Paul Scholes ....

"Before the game against Brugge, in which I scored two goals, I hadn't scored a goal this season. We were at the hotel there for lunch, just before the game.

"And the TV here likes to show old games. And they were showing only Scholes' goals. And I was like, 'Man, this guy gets in the box so much. He's a midfielder and is always in the box, he always scores with his head, all the time'.

"Back then, I saw him playing but I didn't follow so much, in Brazil I wasn't able to watch all United games. And then, seeing his goals, he would enter the box, shoot from outside the box, right foot, left foot. And I said 'Man, this guy'.

"And then Bruno said 'See? You have to do that. Enter the box and you'll score'. Then I went and scored two goals in that game. That's why Bruno celebrated a lot, he was on the bench. I watched his videos and said 'Man, what a great player'."

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Rooney remembers Pique struggling v Bolton

“Bolton away more or less finished Gerard Pique's career at United,”

“He was young and got bullied there and I think that's when Fergie decided that, physically, he wasn't right for the Premier League.

“I always remember Vidic: if we were going to Bolton — and it was the same when he was about to face Didier Drogba — he would be in the gym for two or three days before, pumping himself up.

“Bolton had bits of quality too and the way they fought and worked as a unit, then found moments to use that quality, was typical of how a team can beat better players by being more than the sum of its parts.

“It happened when United played Barcelona in the 2008 Champions League semi-final. Barca played the better football by a mile in both legs and that was 180 minutes of pure hard work, of hanging in there, and riding your luck.

“Real teams realise that sometimes you have to win ugly.”

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Giggs thinks Arsenal had a team that were really tough to play against

“They [Arsenal 98/99] had such an experienced team,”

“Obviously at the back the famous back five but in front of them had a bit of everything.

“They had power, they had pace, imagination with Dennis Bergkamp, goals and penetration with Nicolas Anelka.

“I agree with you [Gary Neville] they were the toughest team to play against.

“I mean Jose’s Chelsea team were tough in a different way they were pragmatic and tough to break down but Arsenal could do everything.

“They were similar to ourselves they could build up, could counter attack, they were similar, right through the spine they were so strong right from the goalkeeper through to Bergkamp and Anelka.”

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    started a topic Red News 18th May 2020

Red News 18th May 2020

Premier League teams agree to start small scale training

Premier League Shareholders today voted unanimously to return to small-group training from tomorrow afternoon, the first step towards restarting the Premier League, when safe to do so.

Step One of the Return to Training Protocol enables squads to train while maintaining social distancing. Contact training is not yet permitted.

This first stage has been agreed in consultation with players, managers, Premier League club doctors, independent experts and the Government.

Strict medical protocols of the highest standard will ensure everyone returns to training in the safest environment possible.

The health and well-being of all participants is the Premier League’s priority, and the safe return to training is a step-by-step process.

Full consultation will now continue with players, managers, clubs, the PFA and LMA as protocols for full-contact training are developed.

Working...
X