“It's a bit strange really that there's such a sort of national debate about Wayne in itself. I think we all know what a player he can be and I really agree with what has been previously said that we really need to be positive, we need not to be looking at certain things where it can go wrong for England. We need to look for where it can go right and, in my opinion, he should start and he should start in his best possible position, which is behind Daniel Sturridge."

"There's lots of positives to take from the Italy game. I think we have got a different sort of threat going forward. But if you know Wayne and the type of player he is, Wayne likes to be involved right from the word go, the more he gets involved the more touches he gets on the ball, the better rhythm he can build for himself, the more chances. You will see him hitting key passes, getting in and around the box, and creating more goalscoring chances for himself. Wayne is that sort of player who understands really, really well that it's a team effort and as long as he can contribute, from whatever position it is, he never has a problem."