Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red News
    replied
    David Moyes hints he’s now more experienced in Europe, and wonders why the journos don’t mention that!

“Nearly everyone asked me at the start of the season about my inexperience in the Champions League. I was amazed that none of you asked me about that the other night there, it must have slipped your minds. Look, I said before, I'd watched enough Champions League football and hopefully watched so much that I know a bit about it. But I got a lot of help from people around me, I said I would do that. Thankfully, I've got myself to the quarter-final but the aim now is to get to the semi-final."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    David Moyes says he’s been ashamed this season but can look United fans in the face after Wednesday

“In some of the games I have felt ashamed because we haven't played well enough and I have not got a team out that has got a good enough result. I think the big thing on Wednesday was that I could look at the supporters in the face after the game. We had given them something to shout about. There was nothing to be ashamed of about our performance."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney wants more of the faster paced, attacking, pressing United we saw on Wednesday

"That's been part of our DNA over the years I've been here - that intensity, that running off the ball, the pace we play at. It's a big part of the way we play and it showed on Wednesday that when we do that to teams it's difficult for them to stop us."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney on the transition post-Fergie

"I think it was always going to be tough when Sir Alex left. It was obviously a massive change so we knew it was going to be tough, but we didn't expect it to be as tough as it has been. But we have to put that right. We have to keep working, keep believing in ourselves and hopefully it'll get better. We the players talk after every game, whether we win, lose or draw, but we knew as a team what went wrong on Sunday, we didn't need anyone to tell us, and we came out and delivered a big performance. If it's not going right, some games you can have bad games, but you still need to put that effort in. It's massively important to me, to the team and the manager. Sometimes it may not look like that but we are giving everything, we are trying. Sometimes it doesn't happen but we are working hard to get better and to try to climb the table."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney on showing pride at the Olympiakos game

"I've said before that our performances this season haven't been good enough and we owed the manager a big performance. We know as players we are better than what we've done this season and as a group we have to show that and put it right. After the first game in Athens and especially what happened on Sunday, we knew that we had to come and give a big performance, for ourselves really - for our own personal pride, and the manager and we've done that. It's something we have to kick on from now. We've still got a few games left in the season and we want to build on this. Hopefully we can do that. I think Sunday, as all the players will admit, was a devastating result for us. To lose 3-0 the way we did was hard to take and we had to stand up and show ourselves and really be at our best because that was not good enough. We have done that, but we have to kick on now and we have to give performances like that every week."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Michael Carrick also thanks the Manchester United fans

A print or digital subscription http://www.rednews.co.uk/subscription.php

“The way they’ve been with us lately has been incredible and it’s not gone unnoticed by the boys. The Liverpool game especially was something I’ve never really witnessed – for the team to be in the position we were in and for the fans to respond like they did and get behind us has spurred us on a lot. Wednesday’s game has not repaid them because the game has gone on Sunday and we’ll always have lost it, but at the same time beating Olympiacos gave them something to be cheerful about.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Ryan Giggs on the criticism

“It’s not nice. Obviously not doing well or as well as we have done in the past – but we still believe, and you still know that you have good players in the dressing room. You are sat next to quality players and I think you saw a bit of that against Olympiacos. That will give us that lift and carry us on because we have had good results this year and probably not carried it on and that is what we need to do now. After the mood of Sunday it was a big result. I think we owe the fans and the manager a result and a good performance, which we produced.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Ryan Giggs on this team being written off

“You can see why people are saying that because we haven’t produced it this season on a regular basis. I know from experience what these players are capable of and a lot of them have been written off. I think there is a lot of quality within the dressing room. We showed it against Olympiacos and we have to show it more consistently. We have not been consistent enough. And not produced football like we did against Olympiacos. We are capable of it so that’s the disappointment. I see every day in training what the lads are capable of and they have not transferred that into the games and we need to do that.”

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    [32] Has Giggs given us a glimpse of what we have been missing?

and why doesn't he play more ? Jamie Jackson offers some thoughts - http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ed-david-moyes

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    [31] Jim White on a light amongst the gloom with an ability to defy the law of physics ... David de Gea ... he's a fan

read Jim White drooling over our Spanish number 1 - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...er-finals.html

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    [30] Dwight Yorke thinks United players played for their lives last night, and think if they keep doing that who knows what could happen!

"Take nothing away from that result.

"I just think the United team we saw last night was full of energy, full of passion, like their lives depended on it.

"This team is experienced, they know how to win the Champions League and if they get a favourable draw on Friday who's to say they can't go all the way?

"That's me being a fan wanting to see the team continue in that vein. If the players continue to play like their lives depend on it, who's to say they can't?"

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    [29] Yorke thinks A.Madrid, Dortmund or PSG would be good for United in the quarter finals

"Atletico Madrid are doing well in La Liga, but United will fancy their chances against them.

"Then there's Borussia Dortmund - even though they're a fantastic team - and PSG. If I were United I would love to be drawn against any of those three."

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    [28] Yorkie thinks Welbeck created the space for others to shine

"David Moyes had his team selection right last night - the energy from Welbeck in stretching defenders. That creates space for other players like Ryan Giggs to come in and show their quality passes."

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    [24] Olympiakos player Dominguez on why United won and they didn't ... and why he isn't satisfied with their performance

"The difference was United were better when it came to taking their chances. We had our chances too and didn't convert them.

"It was a game where the narrowest of margins made a big difference. De Gea's save was a key moment but so too was when they got the second goal with 30 seconds left (of the first half).

"I am not satisfied with what we did – we wanted to get through and carry on in the competition.

"We had our supporters behind us, a lot of people followed us here. We did all we could but could not give them something to celebrate."

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    [23] Olympiakos player Fuster on the timing of the second goal ... it hurt them

"The team are really disappointed. We had high hopes of going through to the next round, but it wasn't to be.

"We started well, we were closing down space, they were struggling to find their front men and we had a few chances which might have changed the game if we'd scored.

"They got the penalty and that made it harder for us, and getting the second goal on the stroke of half-time and then the third made it an uphill battle.

"We still only needed one goal and had to keep trying – we kept fighting till the end but got no reward."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X