X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red News
    replied
    Juan Mata on his goals against Newcastle

“I normally practice twice a week after training. I like to improve how good I can be from free-kicks and I try to score as much as I can in training. Today, I was lucky to score. David was pretty happy for me and he had told me that I was going to score before the game. That is why I went to him. They were very different goals, maybe the first one was more important because it made it 1-0 but the second one was very special as well.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Anders Lindegaard happy with his performance against Newcastle

“It’s a long time since I proved to everyone in the United family that I can still perform at a high level. So, a clean sheet was definitely what I personally went for. It felt great to come off after a couple of saves and with a clean sheet, it’s a while since I’ve done that. There is no need for the talk being about me, I guess the less talk there is about the goalkeeper the better job he has done! That means he has not made any mistakes and that’s a big part of the goalkeeping job. The whole midfield did a great job, Darren balanced it well, and Shinji and Mata really had some good play going on between them. It was joyful to look at from behind the whole team. The movement between Juan, Shinji and Adnan was slick, and they looked like they enjoyed themselves. It was nice as a United man to see it. Juan’s definitely been growing from the first day he came until now. He’s had a great impact on the team, not just on the pitch but off it – he’s a very nice guy, very calm and very balanced. I’m sure he’s going to have huge achievements for us in the future.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Darren Fletcher hopes Newcastle was a sign form IS improving

“It’s been a disappointing season in the league and in the cups. Hopefully, it is a sign we can kick on and he can produce form like he showed at Newcastle and we can really get back to challenging for the title next season.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Alan Pardew praises United’s depth of squad

"We know as a team that we can defend well, but we need more threat and sometimes when you have got no threat, the opposition get more confident and they keep coming on like Southampton, and this was the same. At the end, Manchester United were coming forward and looking for goals and we weren't offering enough threat, and we have got to change that. Having said that, we have played three good teams in the last three and we know we are a little distance away with the injuries we have got in terms of quality. Manchester United can lose five players and it doesn't really affect them too much; it does us. But we have to make sure we go to Stoke with a team that's focussed and try to win the game."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Juan Mata happy (he always seems happy mind!) for his team-mates

"We produced a great performance, scored four goals and played some great football, especially in the second half. This is a happy day for us. We played very well. For me, it is a pleasure to play with players like Chicha, Shinji and Adnan. They are quality players, so it is easy to play alongside them. Today, we did it on the pitch and we created some chances to score. I am very happy for Chicha as well - I think he deserved his goal - and for Adnan after coming off the bench."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Juan Mata explains him going over to hug David De Gea after his first goal

"David was pretty happy for me and he had told me that I was going to score before the game. That is why I went to him."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    David Moyes - Juan Mata has improved us
    "I think Juan Mata has played really well and I think he has made us better. He hasn't had the goals in the earlier games, but I really thought he played fine in the games. But recently he has started the get the goals and, more importantly, assists as well. Over the last few seasons in the Premier League, Juan Mata is one of the best assist-makers and he has always got himself a good tally of goals. We needed that and he is coming up with the goods now."

David Moyes on United getting closer to Europa League qualification
    "The job I would like to do is finish as high up the table as we can. I don't know where it's going to be, I don't know what's going to happen, but I want to try to keep winning the games and see where we end up. If we get into that situation, then we can make a call on it."

David Moyes asked if there is any update on Wayne Rooney
    "I have not heard today from the medical team back at Carrington, but we are hoping it will be making progress. He's a really important player for us and we will give him every opportunity to be right with his toe."

Alan Pardew on the Cry-Babies support nearing tears over another c&&p display
    "It's tough. I understand the fans' frustration. They want to see exciting football at this stadium and we are just not producing it at the moment. We need to just gather ourselves together and hopefully go to Stoke and put on a performance which is above the last three. I thought the commitment was on the pitch today, there was a lot of good commitment. We actually had some decent performances in and around that performance, but United were too good today. The last few results, particularly the last three, have been tough, tough games for us. The opposition have been above us, there's no doubt about that, and we have not really had any breaks in the games. We had chances today. The first goal was essential for us, I thought, and we didn't get it."

David Moyes delighted with United's away form - best in the league away from home
    "I thought we played very well today. Some of the individual performances were fantastic, and I thought that as a team we played really well. We needed a good performance, but we didn't start the game as well as I would have liked. In the opening 20 minutes I thought our passing was sloppy and not as accurate as we'd like, but once we got into a rhythm I thought we played really well. I'm thrilled by our away performances. We just need to try to show that more at Old Trafford. The hardest thing in football is probably winning away from home. Expectations at Old Trafford are really high but some of the football we played today was fabulous. Newcastle are having a few poor results themselves and the crowd are finding it difficult, but you could hear our supporters and thankfully we were able to give them another good away performance."

David Moyes on our goals today
    "I think Juan has been doing really well for us. He's made the team better, he can assist and score goals. In his first four or five games we didn't see him scoring any, but now you're beginning to feel that he's got goals in him. His backheel for the the fourth goal was a piece of magic, it was great. I thought when Shinji, Juan and Adnan were on the field, there were some technically gifted footballers out there. His composure for the second goal was great, having been played in by Hernandez, as well as the free-kick. Every day, him and Wayne Rooney practice their free-kicks and try to get them right, it's a simple thing but practice makes perfect. It was a perfect free-kick today. It was good. Javier went through and hit the post just before half-time, before we scored an important goal to make it 2-0. It was a great piece of movement and a great bit of play to get in again, with Javier's movement in the box, and everyone knows that's what he can do."

David Moyes on Ashley Young's injury - hopefully not the hand he lands on when, er, winning free-kicks!
    "He has torn ligaments in his hand and it looks like a bad injury. I don't know how long it will keep him out for at the minute, but from what the medical team have told me, it doesn't look good."

Javier Hernandez happy to come in and the win
    "It's difficult when we are not playing too much. To give a performance like this as a whole team is pleasing because you see players like Shinji, me and Juan Mata, Antonio Valencia at right-back and Adnan Januzaj coming in. It was a good performance and a good result. We’re all ready and we want to make the gaffer have a difficult position. We all want to play in the game at Bayern Munich and we proved that today."

Javier Hernandez on Juan Mata today - clever!
    "It’s unbelievable. You can see that’s going to be a very important player for this club. He needed to get used to the way that we play and the way the manager wants us to play. In the past games, he did alright but the goal he scored against Aston Villa gave him a lot of confidence and you can see what he is capable of, with assists, with free-kicks and to score goals so he’s a very important, clever player."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Juan Mata happy with the team and his own performance
    "Well I think it was a very good day for us, winning 4-0 away in a stadium like Newcastle. It was a happy day for us. Great performance, scoring four goals and now we have more confidence for next week in Germany. I'm very happy. It's been a few very good days for me after my first goal last weekend, so I just will try to carry on. I'll carry on until the end of the season, try my best playing at that level and try to score and assist as many goals as I can."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    David Moyes described a perfect Premier League win and performance today
    "It was a perfect performance in the Premier League, which is most important. We didn't start the game as well as I'd have liked but after the first 20 or 30 minutes we got to grips with it and there were some really good performances. It was a great team performance. We had to defend well and the goalkeeper made two or three great saves, and I am really pleased with the result."

David Moyes praises Mata, Kagawa and Fletcher
    "I think Juan has been terrific. I also bought him for his goals, and in the first five or six games he didn't score, but his two goals today and his assist, he has made a big contribution. He has made us better. I thought Shinji Kagawa was very good, and Darren Fletcher in midfield, and there were some really good performances."

David Moyes on valuing Javier Hernandez
    "He is a player we value a lot and he makes great contributions to the team, whether that is coming off the bench or starting. He is a talented footballer and his stats are up there with the best of them."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    [36] More David Moyes on Chris Smalling's and Jonny Evans' chances for Newcastle
    "Jonny Evans and Chris Smalling are doing better. They have got a chance for Saturday. I will see how they go. I might include them in the squad. They are not just quite up to the training levels at the moment."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    [30] David Moyes mind games? He says Wayne Rooney a doubt for Bayern and out tomorrow with "terrible toe"
    "Wayne is injured. He has a badly bruised toe so he won't be involved against Newcastle. It will be touch and go for Wayne for Wednesday. It's football. You look at what Wayne has done for us in the last few league games for instance. Against Aston Villa, he scored two goals and there were a couple at West Ham, including that special goal. Wayne has been an integral part of that because of the goals he scores for us. He's a miss for that, never mind going forward. It's a toe injury and they're never easy when you get one. You could see him limping in the game - towards the end, quite badly. He has a bad toe. There's not an awful lot you can do with a toe injury. Sometimes you can feel better quite quickly with them and sometimes you need an injection to play with it if it's bruising. With a lot of toe injuries, you have to make sure there isn't a hairline fracture or crack in your toe. We will have all that checked."

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    Newcastle are one of our longer serving opponents. first played in 1894/5 season, played in every decade since. 149 league games in total

we've won roughly half of those games, drawn a quarter and lost a quarter.

away from home, not so pretty. lost 30, won 27, drawn 17

But in last seven away games - won 4, drawn 2, lost 1. which is the same as our last 7 games at Old Trafford v Newcastle

interestingly, in only 2 of those seasons have MUFC get the same result home and away

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    [29] Moyes gives an update on United injuries

"We have got Jonny Evans and Chris Smalling back in training, that helps us.

"Ryan Giggs picked up a wee bit of an injury in the [Bayern] game and we are not quite so worried about Alex Büttner. He is not as bad as when he first came off. We have got Jonny and Chris on the way back, which is important for us because we have missed them through what has arguably been one of the most difficult times of the season for us. We could have done with their youth and enthusiasm."

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    [28] Moyes wants momentum

"The only thing we are thinking about is the Newcastle game,"

"The focus is all on Newcastle. We have to go up there and put on a good performance and get three points, trying to build a little bit of momentum towards the end of the season. We will go there and try to do that.

Leave a comment:

• E.S.
    replied
    [27] Moyes on being distracted by Europe but players needing to focus on Newcastle, although he is glad of an extra day's rest before Bayern !

"Obviously I have got other things on the mind, but the focus is Newcastle and we will try to balance things out correctly. We have got an extra day’s recovery. Saturday to Wednesday is better than last week when it was Saturday to Tuesday. But the message to the players is that it is Newcastle United, this is the next game and it is the most important one."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X