X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red News
    replied
    Robin Van Persie says the Dutch are united, for once

“Our focus is good and it has to be. What you saw in the past often is that in the beginning many jokes were being made, but I think that’s less the case now. This is purely because of the focus we have as a group. We are therefore looking forward to the competition and are really eager to get started.”

“Do not underestimate us. Even though Spain are a great team. In my view, they are the best team in the world, but we are also very good. Don’t forget that. Of course, we have to prove ourselves again, but it is also a great challenge. We will therefore give it everything. I’m positive for everything that lies ahead and have faith in our team. And if we – and I mean not only the players, but also the staff and the media – can say that we’ve had a good tournament in the World Cup, whatever the outcome, it will be a success for us.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney impressed with Gary Neville, England coach

“Gazza is really good. He’s so intelligent as a football analyst, if you like, with what he does on TV. He brings that to us. Even in games, he can see how the game is going. He used to do that as a player. If you were on the bench next to him he could see the way the game was going, and what to change about it. That’s what he brings to Roy. He can see things happening. He has his opinions and then it’s down to Roy to change it or not. He analyses the opponents we play, goes through their strengths and weaknesses as a team.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    rest of Mata interview about Spain and him

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...holland-brazil

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Juan Mata on wondering if he’d miss out on the Spain World Cup squad

“I wouldn’t say ‘worried’ but of course you do wonder what might happen. I have thought that once or twice, yes. But it’s best not to. I think it’s much better to go out on to the pitch and play like I always do, to let things happen naturally. I would rather not try to force anything. If you play naturally it’s more likely that things will go well for you than if you go on to the pitch thinking: ‘I’ve got to play well to go to the World Cup’.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Arjen Robben praises Louis van Gaal

"I worked with him at Bayern Munich before he took this job, so he has been very important to my career. Along with Pep Guardiola, I can say he is the best coach I ever had."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney on where he may play against Italy

“I’m happy to play anywhere. But if you look at the way we play, it’s not out and out on the left wing. You’re playing more inside, you’re coming inside off the line. Whoever is playing No 10, wide or up top, the manager gives us the freedom to rotate.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney on wanting to be England’s greatest scorer

Bobby Charlton - My Manchester United Years

“It would be great. At my age, I should break that record. I just want to keep playing, keep trying to score. If I can get Sir Bobby’s record it would be a massive achievement. I’d be absolutely delighted. I want to score goals and help England be successful. If I play well, the team will play well. I feel better than I have done for years. I’m ready for this tournament.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney on his plans versus Italy

“The Italian defenders I’ve played against tend to read the game really well. They put themselves in good positions but, if I’m honest, when you play a high tempo against them they struggle. The Italian league is nowhere near the tempo of the Premier League. Even when we played AC Milan and Nesta and Maldini were their centre-halves they really struggled when we played a high tempo. If we can do that, I am sure we will give them problems.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney - I’m not like Ronaldo, it’s the team performance over my own

border="0">

“I’m not a player who needs that. Cristiano Ronaldo … he has to have that. You admire him for that. You can see how he is. He wants his moments. I’m more about winning as a team. It’s more important to me. I’ve won the PFA player of the year, and it’s nowhere near as good as winning a trophy with Manchester United.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney on not enjoying the World Cup in South Africa

“The truth is I missed my family. That was the hardest thing. This time, I’ve learned to deal with that. Of course, I will miss them, but I’ve learned how to deal with that side of things. I’m older now and they will be over here eventually. It was stupid of me (to shout into tv cameras after the Algeria game). I understand that now, but it was a frustrating time. Of course I regret it, but it was in the heat of the moment. It happened, and you move on. Listen, I’ll do my best for England and I’m sure the fans will see that.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Phil Jones on his shoulder injury

“Once I did it, I thought I might not have a chance, but thankfully it healed quickly and I'm feeling fit, ready and I'm so looking forward to it. The World Cup was the first thing that came into my mind when I did it. I remember getting the scan, thinking 'it might knock my chance'. Thankfully, it's healed nicely and I'm able to be a part of what's going to hopefully be a successful tournament.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney on using the England team psychiatrist and not enjoying previous tournaments

border="0">

“I’ve spoken to him a few times. If you look at the achievements in his life, it’s incredible really. I found him great and easy to talk to and he will be a big help. I’ve been putting myself under too much pressure. Maybe you guys, the media, have put me under a lot of pressure and I’ve tried to respond to that. This time I haven’t, and I’m not going to. I’m going to enjoy it. I’ve learned that I have to enjoy this one because, if I’m honest, I haven’t enjoyed the last ones. They’ve not gone well and all of a sudden you’re looking back, they’ve gone and you didn’t enjoy it. This one I’m going to enjoy, regardless of what happens. I’m going to make sure I take positive memories from it. Because there’s no point in doing it if you’re not enjoying it.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Shinji Kagawa on pressure

“I do feel the expectations, whether I wear the number 10 shirt or not. All I can do is to achieve what is expected of me. It is great that number 10 is the centre of attention but it is also accompanied by responsibility. Having said that, I want to play with joy and I believe I can do this with my team-mates. It would be good if we can show our effort and experiences from the last four years by winning games on the best stage in football - the World Cup.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Shinji Kagawa on his World Cup hopes

“I will just get ready to show my performances, I don’t think I should be too greedy. I am just getting myself ready for the first match in a calm manner. I am going to play and keep myself under control. I am preparing myself for it. But who knows? You might feel nervous or overwhelmed. You never know how you will actually feel until you get there. Again, I try not to fantasise or to be obsessed. Let's say, I try not to imagine myself scoring three goals in the first match. I just think it is best if I can show what I have got, setting my ego aside.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney on criticism

“Different players have different mentalities. I’ve always responded well if I’m not doing well. If someone is shouting at me, I have no problem with that. You see some players and it really affects them. It’s not something I get concerned about. I always remember someone commenting that I hadn’t scored for six games. What they didn’t say was that I was playing as a deep-lying midfielder for those six games.”

Leave a comment:

Working...
X