X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney on wanting World Cup glory

"The target is to win the tournament. That's what we've prepared ourselves to do. It's obviously a different set-up this time around but, ultimately, the goal is the same - to try to be successful. The younger players are bringing a lot of energy and excitement to the team. It's the best squad of players I've been involved with since I've been with England. It's great to be part of and the future for England certainly looks bright. I feel 100 per cent fit and ready for this tournament. I'll give everything I can to try to help the team. There is so much ability in the side, it's a joy to be part of. I feel I've still got a massive role to play in this team and I want to do that. I think we can all be really excited."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney says Danny Welbeck is fit for England

"Danny will be fine. I’m sure he will be ready for Saturday. He was just not risking anything in training today. He'll train on Friday and be available, I'm sure.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Pele on Wayne Rooney

“Wayne Rooney has not scored but he was fantastic for the team. He was always the player who fought more for the team – I would like him in my team, you know!”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    And Danny Welbeck misses England training completely today

an ABU nation holds its bad breath.

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Phil Neville - Wayne Rooney ‘drop him’ stories are a witch hunt

"I just think it is a witch-hunt we don't need. Everything has been going so well with the team's preparation that people are looking for a negative now. But there isn't a negative with Wayne. There is a side of the English mentality to say 'let's look for a scapegoat and somebody to criticise’. But Wayne is our best player and that's a fact. I'm certain he will want to deliver in this tournament like he did at Euro 2004. He looks fit and lean and I do not understand why people want him out. Hopefully this criticism will be Wayne's motivation. I just get annoyed by it all and it sounds like Roy Hodgson is getting annoyed by it all too. People question Wayne's attitude as well as his fitness but I worked with him every day last season and can tell you he is totally driven to perform at this World Cup. Part of his ambitions now are to become the all-time leading goalscorer for England and Manchester United, and that is something that is driving him on. I know that for a fact because that is one of the goals we, his coaches at United, set him."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Danny Welbeck an injury doubt for England?

As he pulled out of training yesterday, his thigh strapped.

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Nani and Portugal had a good night

as he came on as 2nd half sub and looked lively - and good! - in their 5-1 win over the Republic of Ireland.

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Glenn Hoddle says Wayne Rooney needs to ‘calm down’

“Rooney can finally establish himself as a world class performer and take Brazil by storm over the next few weeks but only if he calms down. He simply must relax. I would tell him that in order to reach his peak on the biggest stage he needs to relax and play his normal game. He tries too hard to live up to his reputation as a world-class player and it shows.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Jose Mourinho disagrees with Paul Scholes about Wayne Rooney, this is his moment

border="0">

“I don’t agree with Scholes. I think Wayne is right when he says this is ‘his’ World Cup, it is the right moment. He is not a kid any more, he is not an old player at the end of his career, he is in what I call ‘the best age’. I think it is his World Cup. I think he has also a role as a leader in the team, a little bit similar that he had at United this season. I think he is ready to cope with this. Maybe the fact that the season was not good with the club, maybe that can also play a positive role, a role of somebody who is a natural winner, somebody that every season normally wins something. The fact that this season, nothing I think can play a positive role in his ambition, in his anger to succeed. I have faith that he can do it.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    More Robin Van Persie on his injuries every game routine (Saha and Hargreaves, don’t sulk)

Robin Van Persie shirt RVP UTD now just £9.99 - http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/items.php?itemid=41

"Fitness wise I've been making steps in the last couple of weeks. Sometimes big steps, sometimes smaller steps but I'm feeling alright. I had a little issue with my groin the last couple of days but I can't even call that an injury. I've been playing with pain for the last 5-6 years; every single game. I can't really think of one game that I've started without having a niggle or some pain somewhere so I'm used to that. I think I know together with the team, the medical staff, how to deal with that and I'm the one that basically looks at that and manages that."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    RVP went to Brazil and all he got… was hit by a kitesurfer?

on Ipanema beach, walking along, and then bosh, according to reports on the accident.

A Dutch spokesperson saying our man has “light scratches... But apart from that everything is fine."

Bizarre story of the day, for sure, as the Dutch might say.

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Robin Van Persie says he’s been carrying knocks… for 5 or 6 years!

Robin Van Persie shirt RVP UTD now just £9.99 - http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/items.php?itemid=41

“I can’t remember a game over the last five or six years where I haven’t felt some pain somewhere. The groin complaint I had you can’t even call an injury. I’ve had so many of those complaints. I’m no longer bothered by my groin and I have been able to give my all in the training sessions. I’m completely ready for the game against Spain. Spain are a good side, but so are we.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Robin Van Persie on a difficult start to his relationship with Louis Van Gaal

“We had our first team meeting after the European Championships, which had not gone exactly great in Poland and Ukraine. Louis wanted to talk to all the players. He also let the squad, which he had picked, talk about what had gone wrong in the previous Euros tournament. In my individual meeting with Louis, he told me I would no longer be the No.1 striker. He preferred to go with Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and I had to accept a place among the reserves. When I went home to Manchester after our training camp in Holland and sitting for 90 minutes on the bench in Louis’ first international game with the Dutch, I said to my wife that I did enjoy his training sessions and that he did come across very well as coach. So, my wife replied, ‘That’s great. So you have a good manager, but you are not going to play!’ Louis just did not know me. He had to get to know me as a person and I had to get to know him. Only one month later, he picked me as his No.1 striker again, eight months later he made me captain of Holland and now we are preparing for the finals in Brazil.”

“The World Cup is not about Robin van Persie. It is about our team doing well. I love a big tournament, but I don’t need to have the limelight. If we, the Dutch, win and I can make half of our goals, instead of scoring, I will be just as happy. I’d rather get into another World Cup Final, having run my socks off for everyone else, than go home on the first plane after the group stage and having scored a few goals.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Alessandro Del Piero on Wayne Rooney

"Wayne is a terrific player. Now he is more balanced and he is ready to lead this time, I hope.””

on England vs Italy

“It will be an open game. England are a little bit different to 10, 12 or 15 years ago. Now there are more situations where they can score goals or where they can do something special. I think Italy has a good history against England. Italy usually never misses the first game, the second game is historically a bad one for Italy. This is what history says but football is beautiful because everything can change in a few seconds."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Rio Ferdinand on Paul Pogba

“I know from his time at Manchester United that Pogba is ridiculously talented and it is unfortunate that a complicated contract situation meant he left. I was sorry to see him go. Everyone at United knew he was going to be a super player when he arrived at 16 from Le Havre. He told me before he left he wants to be the best player in the world. He said it deadpan but meant it. He is like Patrick Vieira, only more skilful with a greater range of abilities. That’s how highly I rate him.”

Leave a comment:

Working...
X