X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red News
    replied
    Rio Ferdinand thinks United’s season cost Michael Carrick his England place

“Michael Carrick could be forgiven for thinking that Manchester United’s season cost him his place at the World Cup — and there is some justification for that belief. As someone involved in that extraordinary campaign, it’s safe to say it was a rollercoaster ride, and draining emotionally. It’s a real shame for Carrick that one side-effect was losing his place on the greatest stage. He was downbeat about the news — and I know because I was with him when he got the call to say he wasn’t going. Nemanja Vidic and I took him to the pub for a consolation drink. If anything, I was even more shocked than Carrick. If there is an obvious replacement then fine, but there isn’t. He’s been under-appreciated in an England shirt and never had the respect he deserves. He’s the best holding midfielder England have. He knows the role. He’s not constantly wondering whether to stay or go because he plays it, week in, week out. But he’s not been utilised by the national managers, not given that run of eight, nine, 10 games over a sustained period to settle. Unsettled is perhaps a good description of our club season. We weren’t playing well and those fluctuations in consistency take their toll. United fans rightly want success and it gets stressful for everyone when it’s elusive. The pressure mounted. Questions started to be asked about David Moyes’s future as manager. That adds pressure all round. Who might he buy? Who would play? Was he even staying, or going?
    We didn’t know. He didn’t know. After 27 years of Sir Alex Ferguson, that uncertainty was a shock at United. It was always going to be a tough season. Moyes replacing Sir Alex has to be the toughest gig in football. You have to give Moyes some credit for his efforts but it was a tough year — and ultimately Carrick paid. I hope England don’t suffer now, too.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Gary Neville wanted to walk on a Rio beach, but didn’t like the press following

so he gave them some verbals, story at http://www.theguardian.com/football/...gson-world-cup

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    But David Beckham backs Wayne Rooney to deliver

The Class of '92 - Extended Collector's Edition [DVD] out now for a tenner here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...tpmanunblog-21

“When opposing teams see his name on a teamsheet, it scares them. I'll always back Wazza. He's a great talent and a great player for England" Scholesy knows Wayne as well and has been around him more than I have. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I thought Wayne was the shining light for United last season when the team struggled a bit. It’s all about confidence with strikers, but Wazza has always been about more than just scoring goals. He’s a goalscorer, but he works hard for the team and that is what Wayne’s game has always been about. If he doesn’t score goals, he’s either assisting or creating something for the team. He is a creator as well as a scorer. Every time he has stepped out in an England shirt, he has always given 110%. When Wazza turns up, he always gives everything.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    David Beckham on Paul Scholes’ criticism of Wayne Rooney

The Class of '92 - Extended Collector's Edition [DVD] out now for a tenner here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...tpmanunblog-21

“He doesn’t say much but when he says it, it’s always cutting - he’s got a sharp tongue, Scholesy. He’s a great lad and if you could roll back the years, I’d love to see him playing in this tournament.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Louis van Gaal likes Arturo Vidal

border="0">

“Chile have very dangerous players. I always wanted to buy Vidal when he was at Bayer Leverkusen but he went to Juventus. I like a lot of Chile players and they always play an attacking style. It will be difficult for the Netherlands but we have confidence in the three games we have to play.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Phil Jones on Scouse Sterling’s sending off

"The referee was a bit harsh. I don't think Raheem's done too much wrong. It's harsh. The referee probably could've kept them both on the pitch. You've got to deal with whatever gets thrown in your face, and everyone's discipline is key, but I don't think there was anything to worry about. We've talked about a lot of things over the last few weeks: there's no right and wrong, and people will pick up cards because it's the nature of the game. But I don't think there was any maliciousness in this incident. It was just harsh. Overall it was a fair game and evenly contested. We're happy to have another work-out under our belts and more acclimatisation to the heat. It was a good work out and a good test against a good team. They tested us at times and I thought we coped with it well. We could have scored a few more goals but, overall, we're pleased. It was difficult at times in the heat but that's what we wanted and that's what we expected. The preparation is for June 14."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Phil Jones happy with his shoulder

"The shoulder feels good. It was a test to come through it and I've come through it fine. They had some big units out there. They're no mugs, Ecuador. I'm positive."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney says he doesn’t need to be told how to play that left hand role

“I can play in different positions. I’ve proved I can play on the left over the years. The manager didn’t have to tell me what to do. I know how to play that role. I’ve played it many times and I’ve no problem doing that. He didn’t have to explain it to me. It is down to the manager. It’s not about me, it’s about the team. If the manager wants to play me up top, in behind, left, right, I’m happy to do that. I’m ready to play. I hope to play against Honduras. I’ve trained hard, I have no injuries or any recurrence of the groin strain I had at the end of the season. I always needed game time. I felt really good, especially in the heat. I’m sure the manager will have a tough decision but I’m ready. I'm pleased to score and pleased to get another 60 minutes so I was happy. I felt good but you need game time so I was delighted to get another 65 minutes under my belt and I feel better. I'm ready to play. I'm ready."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney dismisses Paul Scholes’ criticism of him

"He's been a team-mate but he's been away from the first team for a long time. I'm not interested. He's got his opinions so let's leave it at that. I've seen a lot of you saying he's coached me and been around the team, but he hasn't. I'm not really going to react. I'm not really interested in what anyone else has got to say. I'm interested in what Roy Hodgson, the coaching staff here and the people around me say. People have their opinions but I don't agree with them."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    David Moyes on speaking to Wayne Rooney since United - and he has to play for England (as he carried United)

border="0">

“When I look at England I think he has to play for England. I think he has the ability to score. He has the mental strength to handle the games. In those games you look to your big players and Wayne will be a big player for England. I have no doubts about that. But I do agree I think there is an awful lot of pressure being lumped on him which isn’t right. England haven’t done particularly well in a lot of competitions, so no one should be expecting great things from them. To be a stand-out and make a difference in World Cup games is very, very hard. For me, Wayne would definitely start. He has the experience of past tournaments as well. I have spoken to Wayne a few times since I left Manchester United and he has been very supportive. Wayne was terrific for me. He played really well and in the opening months carried us in a lot of ways with his sort of swashbuckling style. At his best that is what Wayne is. By the end of the season, he had scored his goals. I think Wayne’s best contributions will be centrally. In time he can drop back and be a central midfield player as well because of his ability to pass the ball is very good.”

“He is in a better place than he was at this time last year. He is playing well and his form has been good. I do think he has already come out and said he wants to have a good World Cup and you have to trust him and go with that. He will be determined to do well. He knows how important this is for him. Wayne will be desperate to show everyone what he can do. In his mind, he is strong and he will be determined to go out and show how good he is and with a determination to do the job, but you have to remember that the opposition can make it difficult for players. He will also need good service and good players around him. Wayne cannot make it happen all on his own. Portugal have Ronaldo, but Ronaldo still needs a team around him to help him perform. I think Wayne will need players around him to help him as well.”

“He has to play. He has the ability to score, he has the mental strength to handle the games. In those games you look to your big players and Wayne will be a big player for England. I think he is in a better place than he was this time last year. “

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    That bloke who criticised David Moyes’ training methods is doing the same with Van Gaal over Van Persie

Robin Van Persie shirt RVP UTD now just £9.99 - http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/items.php?itemid=41

Raymond Verheijen

“Holland looked tired & slow last night vs Wales. As expected, muscle injuries start to accumulate after weeks of intensive & double sessions. Fit but tired players who have to train intensively twice a day will accumulate even more fatigue. Injury risk will increase dramatically. Why are these NT (national team) coaches pushing their players so hard after a long season?”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Rene Meulensteen plays down Holland’s World Cup chances

"Holland have match-changing players if they're all fit and performing. But I don't think they have enough depth especially when they come up against the big boys - those teams have the ability to put Holland under pressure. I think then we will see their vulnerability and we may see that as soon as the first game when they play Spain."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Oh man. Adnan Januzaj Belgium debut wiped from record books

as they made too many subs over what was allowed.

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Nani on his World Cup

“The World Cup is a one-of-a-kind challenge. I want to be fully fit, and in top form alongside my team-mates. I could not be there last time, but happily, I am here now.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Frank Lampard on the two sendings off last night

"It's a bit of a shame especially in a friendly game like that. I think there was no real need really. It's a bit disappointing for Raheem really because he's come on and he's trying to do the right thing, track back and try and make a tackle and that's what happened."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X