Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney doesn’t mind where he plays… for England (what about United…?)

"I enjoy playing for my country whether it is left wing, right wing, midfield or up front. I am always proud to play for England and that won't change no matter where I am on the pitch. It is down to the manager to pick where he plays me and I am happy to play anywhere. I feel good. Obviously, I need minutes so I was happy to get them on Wednesday. I tried just to get into the box. I was a bit lucky that it came off the post and fell to me so I am pleased with it. It is always a great joy to score for England. I was obviously pleased to score to get us back in the game. I was delighted. I feel good, I feel ready and I am just looking forward to the tournament."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Wayne Rooney not arsed by criticism from people about his position in the England team

“I am not really interested. A lot of people have their opinions - but I listen to the people around me and in the coaching set-up. I don't listen to people outside of the set-up really so anyone, journalists can say what they want. I have got no interest in listening to them."

"I don't think anyone is guaranteed a start in the team. It is down to the manager to pick the team. I think all (the young players) are (pushing Roy for a start). It is a good squad the manager is picking his team from so the manager will have some tough decisions I am sure and that is down to him to do."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Antonio Valencia on his spat with the Scouser last night

"I am sorry for the fight with Sterling. England are the best team we've played so far. I apologised to the team after the match and the coach. When he tackled me I thought about Segundo Castillo. He nearly missed the World Cup because of injury and I feared I would too, but thankfully I am OK. I was happy with our performance in the second half and that of my cousin. He is a real goal scorer.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Chris Smalling on advice from Rio for the World Cup in Rio!

"I think obviously Rio has been there before and he was saying it is something you should always savour. Really go in there and go full-on for it. Don't come back with any regrets as it's going to take another four years, if you're lucky, to be able to rectify that."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Paul Scholes - England should use the Fergie tactic to stifle Andrea Pirlo, and make it Danny Welbeck

speaking to http://blog.paddypower.com/2014/06/0...aymaker-pirlo/

“England appear to be preparing meticulously in Miami for the heat and humidity of Manaus where they play Italy on June 14. Euro 2004 in Portugal was hot, but the World Cup in Japan and South Korea in 2002 was horrendous. We struggled in 37 degrees (and I struggled more than most) especially against Brazil in Shizuoka. Before the game we didn’t even go onto the pitch because it was that hot. We stayed inside to warm up – it was ridiculous. We went in front early (through Michael Owen) and Brazil had Ronaldinho sent off in the second-half, but we still couldn’t get a kick. Against Italy in the heat we need all our ‘footballers’ to play. Possession is everything. Then there’s Pirlo…

He was outstanding in the World Cup in 2006 and got three man of the match awards six years later at Euro 2012. Pirlo is the world’s greatest playmaker – the complete footballer. Give him time and space and he will destroy you. He’s such a clever player and is so composed. If surrounded he’ll lay it off. If he’s got room he’s devastating. Even though England’s Euro 2012 game against Italy finished 0-0, we paid nowhere near enough attention to him. Pirlo is not renowned for his athleticism, and he’s 35 now, but that day he ran 11.58 kilometres, more than any England player. He also had more passes (131) than England’s four starting midfielders.

Roy Hodgson seems to have underestimated him in 2012, which surprised me given Alex Ferguson tactics previously to stifle Pirlo. In 2010 before Man United played AC Milan in the Champions League, Sir Alex gave very specific instructions on how to take care of Pirlo. Man-marking him was a huge part of our pre-game plan – I played against him when Milan beat us 3-0 at the San Siro in 2007. We didn’t man-mark him. He destroyed us. We learned, and it was painful.

Park Ji-Sung was the perfect man for Pirlo in 2010 and never gave him kick (in a 7-2 aggregate victory). You could even see Pirlo getting frustrated and having little kicks out by the end. Pirlo spoke about Park in his book: ‘They’d programmed him to stop me. His devotion to the task was almost touching. Even though he was a famous player, he consented to being used as a guard dog.” For Manaus, we need an ‘English Park Ji-Sung’ – one England player designated to man-mark him. Looking at the squad, Danny Welbeck (below) – a good defender who can nick the ball well – could be an option and would be a bold decision, one which gives England a creative outlet, and saddles Pirlo with defensive work.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Robin Van Persie wouldn’t even call it an injury

Robin Van Persie shirt RVP UTD now just £9.99 - http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/items.php?itemid=41

"I wouldn't call it an injury, I came off as a precaution. It built up during the came so decided it was sensible to come off."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Louis Van Gaal on Robin Van Persie taken off as injury precaution last night (groin)

Robin Van Persie shirt RVP UTD now just £9.99 - http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/items.php?itemid=41

“He has a little injury and I think it is better that you don't risk a bigger injury when he plays the second half. This match is not the most important match. I hope he is fit for Spain.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Louis Van Gaal on Wales’ dull tactics last night

“Wales played more or less as I expected. I had expected that they would play with 10 men behind the ball. It is always difficult to score then, and they did it very well. When they had the ball they made the pitch very big so we could not press the ball. That is why it was good for us we played this match. It was surprising they created two chances - one a throw-in and the other was a 30-metre run of one of the defenders. But I hoped we would play better. We had a lot of balls, unnecessary I believe, and possession of the opponent, Wales. We didn't get the pressure on the ball because they made the pitch very big and when they are in trouble, a long ball. It is always very difficult to play against those teams. But at the end it is 2-0. We have won. I am happy.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Louis Van Gaal on Dutch players whose club futures are still up in the air right now

border="0">

"It is always better (not to), but it is not like that, it is the world of football. It is always in the process. As well as Michel Vorm we have another five players who are negotiating with other clubs. That is football. You cannot delete it. You have to manage it."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Louis Van Gaal on the Dutch project

"The purpose is to win the World Cup and the purpose of the board is the semi-finals. I think it's a big purpose - the purpose is maybe too big an expectation. I think this team can beat all, but we can also lose. That's sport and we accept that but it's difficult for the Dutch people to accept. You do not know Louis Van Gaal! I give myself more pressure than anyone else. I will always win."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Louis Van Gaal is grateful to Dave Moyes for allowing Robin Van Persie to have rehab in Holland

"He is not 100 per cent, but we have two weeks to go. I think he will be 100 per cent. He is coming out of injury but we built him already up in our federation, our medical department. It was under the permission of David Moyes. So we could control him, he has worked very hard. Then he played two matches of 20 or 30 minutes and the last match 70 minutes. We did not expect that as the injury was bad."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Louis Van Gaal not happy Holland face a weakened Wales side in their friendly

"It is better that we have the best team of Wales because we need resistance. I think Wales without these players are weaker. But this can happen in football. I don't know why, whether it is injury or holidays."

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    A United player seems the England scapegoat before it’s even begun this time. Gary Lineker doubts Rooney’s selection

to Beeb

“But then you’ve got the conundrum – if Sturridge is up top in the system, where do you play Wayne Rooney? Wayne can play anywhere. He can play on the right, he can play on the left, he can even play a forward midfield role. But the question then is, ‘Have you better players in those particular positions than Wayne Rooney?’ We’ve got all sorts of options. You could have Sterling playing on one side, the possibility of Lallana playing on either side, Welbeck, of course, which has been favoured by Roy in his teams and you’d expect him to play on the left-hand side because he covers a lot of ground. So it will be interesting to see which way Roy Hodgson goes. Or whether he sets back to that old way we played two years ago against Italy, with two lines of four, Rooney and someone else up top. So all sorts of possibilities. It will be fascinating to see which way he goes.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Roy Hodgson again talks about the obsession with Wayne Rooney - sounds like he's getting tired of it all

saying yesterday

“Wayne is one of 23 players. I’m very happy to have him here. I don’t have to share the obsession that ‘he has to play here or he has to play that’. As far as I’m concerned, I look at the players at my disposal and decide what they need and what we need. Then I expect them to do it. Wayne can play in several positions and he’ll play in a position which we think will suit the team and which he is capable of playing. He can [play on the left], absolutely. I think Wayne’s a very useful player in the sense you don’t have to pin him down and say this is the only position he can play. He can play centre-forward, behind the centre-forward and wide. If he’s done all of those things at the very top level for Manchester United, there is no reason why I can’t use him in those positions as well.”

he was quoted on Sunday as saying

“It is a bit sad that the country is so Wayne Rooney-obsessed. I don’t think Wayne sets himself up to be anything other than a very important member of the squad, someone who does his best and tries his best at all times. Talk about combinations doesn’t interest me. All I want is for Wayne Rooney to play well and Daniel Sturridge to play well. We don’t share this obsession with Wayne, we also think that people like Danny Welbeck, Sturridge, Raheem Sterling, Ross Barkley and Adam Lallana are in there to play well and help us score goals, too. That’s what a squad is about. Wayne and Steven Gerrard have never asked to be elevated to the position they occupy now, they got there because they are good footballers. They deserve to be there. As senior players with a lot of caps they know there is a bit more responsibility resting on their shoulders than for Sterling and Barkley, who have hardly played a game. I’m not looking for players to impress me all the time, just to justify my faith in them. If they play as well in an England shirt as they do in their Manchester United and Liverpool shirts, I’ll be happy.”

Leave a comment:

• Red News
    replied
    Roy Hodgson is to play Wayne Rooney wide left - one of those spots he doesn’t like - tonight

“The thinking behind Wayne starting a second game is that he played only 60 minutes the other day. He didn’t play many games before he joined us. We think that he’s recovering his match fitness and that starting a game will be to his advantage. We’ll see how long he plays and that will be based on how we think his fitness is progressing.”

Leave a comment:

Working...
X